Savage diff problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhilan

I’m not having the best of luck recently with this savage, but it’s all part of the hobby.
After yesterdays session I took the savage out. And the diff seems to be stuck. The car rolls forward but when I attempt to roll backwards it jams up and gets stuck. The rear diff is fine, when one wheel is rotated the other follows. But the front seems to be the problem, when I try to rotate one wheel it wont move freely and I can hear tiny clicking sounds from within the diff case. I have taken the diff cover off and the outer teeth don’t appear to have any damage. I don’t know what to do. Should I open up the diff completely or what? Please help me 🙏

Sounds like the pin that the plantey gears spin on inside the diff is shot. Are you running plastic are metal diff cases ?
The plastic cases are know to fail with the planetry gear pin holders inside the diff case moving out of their seats caused by wear to the inside of the diff case. Best option is to replace the complete diff with a metel case one. These only come as std with 29T ring gears but if your running the early 43T ring gear then you can just switch that part from your diff.

Last edited:
I’ve just had a tear down of the diff and none of the gears were stripped or had a missing tooth. Inside the diff was only grease no oil which was odd. I have no idea what’s wrong.

If it's a plastic diff the pin p/n 86032c eats it way through the case putting the gears out of line and causes them to lock up. Check the inside of the diff case for wear at the point were the pin locates. This is only if the case is plastic. Also it's not unusal to have grease in there instead of oil.

1662310070362.jpeg

Sorry for the awaited reply.I have swapped out the diffs from a working savage and no fix. I will try to check the bearings and output cups and pinion however they look all good.

I have found my problem! I put screws that were a tad bit long and they were poking through and rubbing on the diff cups.

Good ideal to have the manual handy to check what screws go where. I know it can be a pain but in the end it is a big help. Can save time and problems in the end it is faster. Glad you figured it out.

Good ideal to have the manual handy to check what screws go where. I know it can be a pain but in the end it is a big help. Can save time and problems in the end it is faster. Glad you figured it out.
Are the manuals online because I lost mine

Latest posts

Members online

Back