Savage 3 speed gearbox!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessdublin

Was going to strip my gearbox down & inspect clogs etc & look at clutches etc. Have you guys worked out agood set point to have 2/3rd gears set at for smooth gear changing?

Really depends on your engine/tune performance. Try running it when holding by grab handle and listen for gear changes as you increase rpm. Try a WOT pass and adjust as necessary. The adjustment points can vary quite a bit between trucks.

To stop screw shaft coming completely out even with lock tight I always fit some heat shrink over front/rear
cup joints on gear box, unless you guys have a newer better way?

Attachments

• D07C0AD8-5F76-4EAB-AA18-E095993B335A.jpeg
    D07C0AD8-5F76-4EAB-AA18-E095993B335A.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 6
Blue thread lock usually works, but heat shrink is belt and braces if you have the right size available.

Appreciate engine tune & set up comes into play on setting gears, was just wondering if there was a rough rule of thumb to start with?
As we all know when gear box is in place you can’t adjust 2nd gear only 3rd gear, so for now have set them about half way & see what that brings!

Was wondering how often you guys replace the bearings in the gearbox & do you use any shims anywhere as see there is one fitted in front of 2nd gear clutch holder but nowhere else as there seems to be a lot of Slack with gear cogs?

Looking on HPI website & description of the Savage 4.6, it states easy access to 2 & 3rd gears through side holes from outside.
I got the 3 speed when it first came out & yes can adjust 3rd gear from outside but not 2nd gear as it’s in-closed inside the second gear cog without any notch in it like the 3rd gear design, or did they change the gears also?

Access holes for both the 2 speed transmission and the optional 3-speed transmission allow shifting point adjustment from the outside. Just open the rubber cap and tune the settings.

So is that a typo mistake on HPIs web site stating you can adjust the 2nd gear also from outside of gearbox or have I missed something please?

See they have Discontinued the 3 speed tranny & conversion set, when & why did they do that thought it was always a great success from launch ??

HPI went into administration then bought but not much happening in new parts supply. I somehow think it wont resurrect many models.

Hi looky thanks for info, yes understand about HPI sadly going down pan & hopefully with new spur gears & other stuff for savage coming through with all owners/people like myself getting them going after many years will help things! ??
Looking at older posts on here about 3 speed g/box see someone made a comment about the savage x g/box having a weakness over the older 2 speed, have you had/heard anything about this please?

I've never had any issues with 3 speed or 2 speed but as usual depends how you bash and engine power. 3 speed has narrower gears compared to 2 speed.

Same here never had a problem from the day I fitted the 3 speed over 14 yrs ago when club racing it nearly every w/end, just an old post on here where someone commented on being a weakness! ??

Just received my updated Savage X gearbox to put into my Savage 21 & opened the top up to see agood amount of grease on gear cogs.
This is from a brand new Savage X 4.6 that has never seen any nitro through it or been opened up since it left the factory does HPI now recommend to apply grease, as I was lead to believe & have never applied grease to my gearbox of which has never caused issue or breakage without it!

Attachments

• EAFEE710-DE9F-4CDA-B58F-726F5AB23A2E.jpeg
    EAFEE710-DE9F-4CDA-B58F-726F5AB23A2E.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 14
My most recent Savage X purchase, my fourth one, was bought about 7 years ago. I was surprised to find the transmission full of blue grease... all my others were bone dry.

With added grease do you think it adds unnecessary resistance to drive train or in big scheme of things doesn’t play any part?

Yes i think unnecessary resistance. Anyway most of it will end up on the inside of the casing and not on the teeth.

With my 3 speed g/box I have tried several different tuning positions with the clutch holder & still can’t seem to set it so I can hear it change up through them.
Tell me if I replaced my existing 3rd gear clutch holder pt Nu: 87217 with newer type pt Nu: 86368 would this work, can’t seem to find 2nd gear clutch holder anywhere pt Nu: 87216 apart from 1001 hobbies who what £20 + shipping?

Last edited:
Make sure the clutch holder is in the right way round. If you screw the adjuster fully in then it won't operate so now you can concentrate on adjusting the other one. You may then find one ain't working.

The first gear change can be hard to hear or if engine has lots of torque so gently accelerate

Yes good advice thanks!
Mine both look to be in good shape the lug comes out easy if you ease it out by hand & have had nothing rattling around metal wise to damage things, are they pretty robust or can they fail over time?

Annoyingly though the 2mm hex shaft that holds 3rd gear clutch holder onto gear shaft I can’t for some reason now get my 2mm hex driver into to undo so I can then get at 2nd gear clutch holder to adjust! ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back