Savage 3.5 exhaust advice, can I make it quieter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Ryder

Hi guys, I've done the responsible thing and searched the forum as best I could before posting, so I apologise if this has been covered before.

I recently became the owner of a savage 3.5, (some people tell me its a rubbish version, but its one I could afford at the time), but the previous owner replaced the .21 engine with a .28 engine. The trouble is, besides not fitting very well, is that it sounds like a swarm of angry bees on speed. Normally the sound wouldn't be an issue, but we've got a great area at work we can run them as a few of us have cars and have got together after work to bash them.
We work in an old converted mill and the sound echoes around the grounds in a very disturbing manner. My tmaxx and the bosses revo don't make half as much noise as the savage, so my questions are, do they always sound like that and its something I'd either have to get used to or would a different pipe or other setup make it quieter and more onlooker friendly?

And when I say loud, I mean LOUD, as in have to shout over it when its 20 feet away :)

Would it be better to go with a stock .21 engine and flog the .28 on ebay to recoup some cash? Or will it not make a great deal of difference?

I don't know if it makes a difference for availability of parts etc, but I'm in the UK.

Any help will be appreciated, as if I can't quiet it down, it'll get shelved and eventually ebayed.

Cheers, Tim.

A .28 will of course be louder than a .21 engine..... there are pipes out there to quiet it somewhat but it will always be louder than most other out there especially noisier than a T Maxx or something like it......
My sons Savage is quite a bit noisier than my Savage is, he has the plastic pipe on his , mine is an alloy pipe..... also his is the stock .28 4.6 rtr model and I have an Axial .32 in mine.... personally I don't mind it being loud.... but we run in a wide open area and there is not much around to echo the noises.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back