savage 25 wont shift into second

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

hello I'm having trouble with my savage 25 it wont shift into second gear and i don't know why i cant get my head round it,
ive checked all the locking pins in the prop shaft cups on the diffs and there all fine, the engine is tuned spot on!! i was using it and it was running spot on then all of a sudden it wouldnt shift into second and stuck in first, ive checked the slipper cluth and thats all tight as i replaced it not that long ago so shouldnt be worn out, the clutch shoes are all good because there pretty new. ive adjusted the transmission screw to make the gear change sooner and still no difference, could i of stripped second gear ?? any ideas ??? thanks hopefully will get to the bottem of this

you will have to open the transmission, I suspect either the setting loosened or stripped teeth or maybe it lost the setscrew altogether which will cause it not to shift...

You can see both the little black screws through the hole adjustment holes? Is it easy to open the transmission? Is it the case of just unscrew the top ??
you will have to open the transmission, I suspect either the setting loosened or stripped teeth or maybe it lost the setscrew altogether which will cause it not to shift...
can

the savage 25 has a different case than later models, if yours is the old style you will need to remove it open it up and check what went wrong with it.....
You can buy the later X style case with the removable top and put all your parts inside I do believe... or even get a complete trans from evil bay and just install that also

hello ive now stripped down the transmission and there is no stripped teeth on any of the sprockets/gears but i did notice this when i popped out the middle set of gears. I'm guessing it shouldnt be like this? also would this cause it not to shift into second? what do i need to put it all right ?? thanks

Attachments

• hpi3.JPG
    hpi3.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 3
  • hpi 1.JPG
    hpi 1.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 2
  • hpi2.JPG
    hpi2.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 2
That is the old style trans. You pulled the cath pin out. Upgrade to the new hd 2spd. Gears.
What do you mean by the catch pin ? Sorry I'm kinda new to this, what do I need to do to get it fully working again what parts will I need to renew ?

I agree with Grumpy, just get the complete new style Savage X 4.6 transmission ready to go and install that in place.......
you can pick them up on e bay for less than 40 to 50 bux in most cases and you will save headache down the road.....

The old style has a screw that ghe shift pawl catches. Yours ripped out. The new style has grooves in a steel retainer. Much stronger.

IMG_3795.PNG
I agree with Grumpy, just get the complete new style Savage X 4.6 transmission ready to go and install that in place.......
you can pick them up on e bay for less than 40 to 50 bux in most cases and you will save headache down the road.....
Ok so would you and grumpy recommend me getting this one ?

The three speed is cool. If you want to spenf the coin go that route. The hd is cheaper and a bit stronger. There is a beef up three speed thread here somewhere

Latest posts

Members online

Back