Savage 25 destroying one way bearings-Why??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Ok, got a stock savage 25 which will chew up a one way bearing in seconds. It uses a roto start which has worked fine for the last 5 years then the other week the bearing starting slipping, took it out to clean it and a couple of the rollers fell out so got on eBay and purchased 5 new ones. Put one in put the mill back in the truck and tried to start it, it does take a few cranks on the roto start to fire up but after 5 or 6 goes the new bearing started to slip. Took it out and the plastic insert which hold the needles had broken up. put another new bearing in and same thing happened. It's now done this 4 times on the trot. The engine has good compression but is not unduly tight. I have had it apart cleaned and checked it. The starter shaft look good but have order a new one just in case. I am thinking of ordering a genuine HPI one way bearing but they are well pricey at around £15-18 each. Are they of a higher quality and if so in what way? I know you get what you pay for but what the difference be for the extra money.

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_155319.jpg
    IMG_20220416_155319.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 4
I used a bit of waterproof grease on my bearing and the shaft. I know it sounds weird but it does help the slipping. also excessive cranking can heat the rollers inside and melt the bearings cage, if it does not fire up right away stop and let the bearing cool a bit before trying again. my truck usually fires on the 2nd or 3rd revolution, I have been using the same bearing for a few years now, and yes there is a difference in quality of OWB's also, the cheaper ones use thinner cages and dubious quality rollers in construction

I used a bit of waterproof grease on my bearing and the shaft. I know it sounds weird but it does help the slipping. also excessive cranking can heat the rollers inside and melt the bearings cage, if it does not fire up right away stop and let the bearing cool a bit before trying again. my truck usually fires on the 2nd or 3rd revolution, I have been using the same bearing for a few years now, and yes there is a difference in quality of OWB's also, the cheaper ones use thinner cages and dubious quality rollers in construction
Thanks for the reply Jam 1. Will try abit of waterproof grease like you suggest, in the meantime have bit the bullet and ordered a genuine HPI bearing from Wheelspin Models along with a new starter shaft. I did have a feeling the cheap bearing would be of an inferior quality .

Well changed the starter shaft and fitted a genuine HPI OWB and it all seems fine now. The old starter shaft measured up exactly the same diameter as the new one, so wasn't down to shaft wear which means it was the bearings I was using. Like Jam 1 said they are defiantly inferior quality Teach me not to buy cheap crap one off eBay I guess. Although they all have the same part number stamped on them the HPI one are made in Germany and you can visibly see the cage inside holding the rollers is made of thicker material.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back