Savage 21 to an XL, is it possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulua

if it is possible is it worth the price? My Savage is a used 21 with carbon or graphite TVP's not sure which one it is. that I bought off of my friend, Or is it better to keep it as a 21 and just replace parts and put a new motor and tune pipe?

Thanks,
ulua

Basically its your money :)

If you decide to go to xl, you will need... axles, bones, diff output cups, tvps, center to rear bone and 3spd. Might as well go bp diffs too, its a worthwhile upgrade

Just buy a roller or RTR. The price for the individual parts you'll need to convert to an XL will come near a RTR or Roller.

I converted my .21 to a lx. I was able to change a little at a time so I did'nt have to come off all the money at once. So the question would be, Do you have all the money up front or would it be easier to change a bit at a time.

I decided that I will buy a new truck, I want to know what it feel like to own a brand spanking new truck LOL. I'm stuck between an XL and a Revo, but my gut tell me XL. I've been trying to do some research on these 2. I'm pretty new to RC and don't know much about the traxxas and only know very minimum of the HPI as I own a Savage 21. I'll keep u guys posted on what I went with.

thanks,
ulua

I decided that I will buy a new truck, I want to know what it feel like to own a brand spanking new truck LOL. I'm stuck between an XL and a Revo, but my gut tell me XL. I've been trying to do some research on these 2. I'm pretty new to RC and don't know much about the traxxas and only know very minimum of the HPI as I own a Savage 21. I'll keep u guys posted on what I went with.

thanks,
ulua

well good news is that you will have the best of both worlds because the short wheel base handles way different.

If I decide to convert my 21 to an XL, would this work
Purchase XL TVPS with XL bones, and XL Linkage
could I use the rest of the stock parts from my 21 ie: A arms and dog bone/axil, transmission, motor mount, diffs.
If I could then I may just do a slow upgrade. I know it will cost more but I would learn a lot as well.

yes all you really need to convert it over to the xl size truck is the tvp. and rear dog bone from the transmision to the rear differential.. everything else will line up.. and bold on ...

cool thanks, what about the throttle linkage? the 21 will work as well?

yes ,, if its all stock .. it switches over to same location .. only thing thats different on the xl tvps is its longer in the rear after the motor ,,, thats why it takes the longer rear dog bone . from the motor forword everythings exactly the same bolt paterns and locations .

For Xmas my brother gave me a very generous gift certificate from our LHS. So we went down yesterday, still not knowing what I wanted. It was either going to be an XL or Revo, but knew I was going to walk out with one or the other. After a long debate I went with a Revo. My decision was based on that I decided that instead of running my 21 till it dies then junking it I will rebuild it to an XL. So I decided no since have two same trucks. This site has encouraged me to do this project, after seeing all the other project going on, on here I got excited and decided to do a project of my own. I will slowly convert it over to an XL. Also I figured by doing this I will learn a lot about these
MT's.

Thanks,
ulua

nice ... i want the reveo 3.3 just to upgrade to rpm arms n such. and see what its about .. getting board of savys . gotten where i don't even like wrenching on them much .. if one breaks ill let it sit for months before i get to it .. so i just run my otheres ..I'm thinking of getting into truggies ...something new to do..let us know how it goes for you .. good luck and have fun..after all.. thats what really matters right? fun!!!

nice ... i want the reveo 3.3 just to upgrade to rpm arms n such. and see what its about .. getting board of savys . gotten where i don't even like wrenching on them much .. if one breaks ill let it sit for months before i get to it .. so i just run my otheres ..I'm thinking of getting into truggies ...something new to do..let us know how it goes for you .. good luck and have fun..after all.. thats what really matters right? fun!!!

i got bored of savages also so now i stepped up to the baja 5t

Basically its your money :)

If you decide to go to xl, you will need... axles, bones, diff output cups, tvps, center to rear bone and 3spd. Might as well go bp diffs too, its a worthwhile upgrade

Who makes the bp diffs and what does the bp stand for? Sorry for the stupid question. I tried looking for bp diffs on tower hobbies and found no match.
Thanks
Ulua

X2 scott is exactly right ebay is the place to look. I got the front and rear diffs bulks and body posts from a flux for around $45.00

Thanks for the help, I tried looking up bp diffs on ebay unable to find them, so I tried tower hobbies to see if it could find exactly what bp diffs was so I could search it on ebay. buy yah ebay seems to have a lot of parts for the XL.

Thanks again,
ulua

oh man you guys are great, I have another question. I went to my LHS today just wanted to see some prices on parts. and just for 1 XL chassis it was $30 so the guy said just go with the X conversion Kit only $150.00 and I only paid $150.00 for my 21 from my friend. What do you guys think of the X conversion kit? I'm willing to go either way the price for the X conversion is affordable for me but also I'm willing to spend the money to convert to an XL of course if I go XL way I will buy parts slowly not all 1 time.
Thanks
ulua

imo.. if your just wanting to convert might as well go xl.. youll be happy with it and if you just do a x.. youll always wonder what if i woulda done the xl.. so might as well just do the xl now and be happy with it .. its alot bigger looking truck and i love the way my xl's handle compaired to my x's ..just my oppinion ..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back