Savage 21 Rebuild/Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:woot: First Post!

Hey guys, gyals, and all other preferred pronouns.

Just had a clear out of the shed and found my old savage 21. It’s rough, and I don’t really know if it will run. But, I’ve just left the Navy and now I’ve got time on my hands I want to get it back on the road, I’m going to be asking for plenty of help going forward because I honestly can’t remember much about what I’m doing!

Today I’ve had it on the bench and I’ve popped the engine out to give it all a clean and sort to try get it in a position to fire. I’m trying to get the cooling fins off to give them a refresh but one of the Allen screws appears to be rounded, any ideas? Any tips on what I should be doing to get this POS (currently) back to being a running driving bucket of fun?

Here’s some pics for those of you that like that kind of thing

3F443511-16D4-47B7-9349-B05EFDB74ACB.jpeg34D04D72-A006-4011-B306-19EEECD9B89E.jpeg

To get the stripped bolt out it may be necessary to drill the head off the bolt and remove the heatsink and button then use vicegrips to remove the stub, go slow and careful and it will pop off, I recommend using a drill press to do the drilling....

Coolio, thanks for the tips, I have a set of easy outs that I’ll try first, but I think it will end up being a drill but if that’s the case I’ll do it at work on the pillar on Sunday night.

Welcome along my Savage friend, lots of good newer x upgrades you can do like I have done to my original 21!
Before going at it with drill I would try getting head as hot as you can either with hair dryer or engine head warmer & if you have soldering iron place that on damaged hex head to further heat up.
Then with correct hex size driver get an old bit of cotton sheet over end of hex bit driver & place in damaged hex head with even a gentle tap with hammer to help fully wedge it in position & gentle try to undo hex bolt!
Good luck but may take a few attempts of breaking years old lock tight, but has worked with me many times even with a damaged hex grub on gear box clutch piece! 👍🏻

Welcome to the forum, ya I've been too busy lately working, but I was able to totally overhaul my Savage .21, I think I Shelf-Queened it, looks nice but haven't run it yet, I'll post pics later. My personal recommendation is to preserve that body, buy a clear one, paint it how you like, throw some stickers on it, etc. Those original bodies are all but extinct, I remember back in 2004 you could get them for $26 on ebay, kicking myself for not buying 10 of them. Good luck with your build, keep us posted!

Ok, so I managed to get a spare hour the other day, and after a good soak (weeks) in WD40, and some mild aggression I got the stuck screw out. Might have also started a refurb on a Hot Body’s truck that was in the shed too 👀 I like starting things, what can I say.

What are my options for upgrading the remote? Is there a thread somewhere about this?

Thanks for the tip about saving the shell…. Sadly the shell is almost fully at FUBAR, I’ve seen people reinforce them using milk cartons but I want it running and driving right first.

Good result with screw luck was on your side my friend!
Search for Sky RC remote on here, many people have got/used them at a good price! 👍🏻

Latest posts

Members online

Back