Savage 21 conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycko

Hello all,

I have a Savage 21with a stuffed engine and I'm wondering if it can be converted from a Nitro to and Electric, does anyone have any experience on this? What components/price ect ect.
Thanks

Before going to the Dark & costly side of electric, as the engine has not been used for some time it may be worth checking you have no air leak anywhere on engine from one of the seals. I had a very slight leak with my new Hong nor .28 engine on fuel inlet nipple, that took a while to spot. All I done was blow down pressure pipe that comes off exhaust to fuel tank & mix up some watery fairy & apply allround suspect places whilst blowing down pipe, like I said I nearly gave up finding as took a while to spot!
After finding I took engine apart & sealed up with H/temp sealant!
Good Luck. ??

yes you can convert it to electric, but its not cheap. you'll need an esc/motor combo, battery boxes, spur and pinion gear, motor mount, and you'll have to pull out the 2 speed and replace it with a flux transmission.

also the fluxes have more durable diffs and i believe drive cups, so they will have to be changed down the road as they most likely break( depends of course what system you put in it and how you run it)

keep in mind with the way parts are right now it'll be even more pricey. i did a conversion a few years ago and it wasn't that bad, but right now it might be cheaper to just find a used flux( they are around)

hopefully parts will become more available before too long

Before going to the Dark & costly side of electric, as the engine has not been used for some time it may be worth checking you have no air leak anywhere on engine from one of the seals. I had a very slight leak with my new Hong nor .28 engine on fuel inlet nipple, that took a while to spot. All I done was blow down pressure pipe that comes off exhaust to fuel tank & mix up some watery fairy & apply allround suspect places whilst blowing down pipe, like I said I nearly gave up finding as took a while to spot!
After finding I took engine apart & sealed up with H/temp sealant!
Good Luck. ??

thanks for the help buddy, I will give it a good look over and see of theres any cracks,But tbh this engine has been trouble since day one, so are you saying it would be cheaper to get a new engine than to turn it I to an electric?

100% cheaper to get a new nitro engine, both Modelsport & wheel spin have Hong Nor Force .28 engine for £99 currently, the electric conversion would be hard to come by currently I would imagine also.
The reason your engine has been a lemon from start apart from many other reasons may also be down to having air leak, it’s worth a look at!

To be honest, it will be much cheaper to just replace the nitro engine. I paid around $160 for a new nitro engine, lrp32 is currently $180. The flux conversion when all was done cost me well over $500 (electronics alone were over $200) and some parts were really tough to find.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/lrp-zr...b3xBACFtbBNHpwwAUNo5LhB1cIUJYGggaAlwlEALw_wcB

I did the conversion to flux a few years ago, I made all the changes crnut14 mentioned but ran into a problem mounting the motor. I ended up getting the flux TVPs, motor mounts, motor plates etc. all that was left from my original truck was the plastic pieces and the transmission. I ended up converting it back to nitro and put a LRP30 in it and buying a Tekno MT410 for bashing. The electric power was great in the savage, and lots of fun all winter but I needed to build something again so I converted it back to nitro. (I love building RC cars and trucks, I currently have 9 I’ve built, lol).
If you decide to do the convention I still have the TVPs, motor mounts, motor plates, battery boxes and the Gear conversion I’ll be willing to part with for a low price. I can’t help you with the upgraded diffs and cups because I kept the upgraded parts in my nitro, just message me if you are interested

[B]Sycko[/B] hope you don't mind me poping in . But I have the same thing guys, A savage 25 SS, That's like new, It does have the 4 spider diff's and I did shim them properly when I built it, I have MIP cvd's in it. I just never used it at all, As my neighbors bitched every time I fired it -up. So in the basement it went until now maybe? LOL I put an Extended chassis and drive bone in when built. Has anyone installed a {Brushed motor} in one of these? Like a Dewalt or one of those 700 motors with a brushed ESC? and LiPo's I'm Just looking for maybe 25-30 tops mph out of this Nothing real fast at all. I believe i could make a motor mount for it. I know that Dan had made kits at one time, And had Planned to get one but I Snoozed and Dan Unfortunately Passed away. I have not come across one on Ebay and have had a search for one going but No Dice for the last year or so. I have a Young kid across the street, He has no dad, Just him and his young mom. I would like to set-it up for him to play with in his large yard. I will keep it and charge the LiPo's and repair any issue's as I have spare parts as well, I'll give him supervision and maybe teach him to wrench a bit when older, Kinda like a Crawler or rock runner. Before I buy Motor & ESC LiPo boxes for the sides and stuff, Will I still have Diff and trany issue's??? I would pull some gears and make a single gear tranny. I'm thinking maybe a Brushed motor will Not have power to trash the drive train But I may be wrong? If things are still going to pop and break, I'll just s**t-can the Idea. I'm not looking to sink $200 in in this if it's a fail. I am on a Budget here I'm 62 retired not bye my choice, If something needs fixing I can do it for sure. I work on all my full size truck and my wife's car all the time, So I'm very Mechanical. If this would work? He would be pretty darn happy kid and it will get some use out of it. Instead of just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I could get one of the center drive trannys if needed But not sure if my out-drive cups will fit my drive bones. Any Input or Thought's on this Brain storm? a Simple Nay or Ya is fine if you have some Tips great our know of any links or Tip's that would be great . Thanks for your time. Just kinda trying to Recycle it and make a kid happy. LOL Cheers!!

Last edited:
[B]Sycko[/B] hope you don't mind me poping in . But I have the same thing guys, A savage 25 SS, That's like new, It does have the 4 spider diff's and I did shim them properly when I built it, I have MIP cvd's in it. I just never used it at all, As my neighbors bitched every time I fired it -up. So in the basement it went until now maybe? LOL I put an Extended chassis and drive bone in when built. Has anyone installed a {Brushed motor} in one of these? Like a Dewalt or one of those 700 motors with a brushed ESC? and LiPo's I'm Just looking for maybe 25-30 tops mph out of this Nothing real fast at all. I believe i could make a motor mount for it. I know that Dan had made kits at one time, And had Planned to get one but I Snoozed and Dan Unfortunately Passed away. I have not come across one on Ebay and have had a search for one going but No Dice for the last year or so. I have a Young kid across the street, He has no dad, Just him and his young mom. I would like to set-it up for him to play with in his large yard. I will keep it and charge the LiPo's and repair any issue's as I have spare parts as well, I'll give him supervision and maybe teach him to wrench a bit when older, Kinda like a Crawler or rock runner. Before I buy Motor & ESC LiPo boxes for the sides and stuff, Will I still have Diff and trany issue's??? I would pull some gears and make a single gear tranny. I'm thinking maybe a Brushed motor will Not have power to trash the drive train But I may be wrong? If things are still going to pop and break, I'll just s**t-can the Idea. I'm not looking to sink $200 in in this if it's a fail. I am on a Budget here I'm 62 retired not bye my choice, If something needs fixing I can do it for sure. I work on all my full size truck and my wife's car all the time, So I'm very Mechanical. If this would work? He would be pretty darn happy kid and it will get some use out of it. Instead of just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I could get one of the center drive trannys if needed But not sure if my out-drive cups will fit my drive bones. Any Input or Thought's on this Brain storm? a Simple Nay or Ya is fine if you have some Tips great our know of any links or Tip's that would be great . Thanks for your time. Just kinda trying to Recycle it and make a kid happy. LOL Cheers!!
Hi there. I came to this forum a few months ago looking for information on the same thing and i found some really good advice and was looking to share it and this is the perfect time to do it as ive finished my brushless conversion on my savage 25 and ran it for the first time and couldnt be happier with the results! First of all i see your budget and i don't think your gonna make it work. I tried to do mine on the cheap and i doubled that quickly! From this forum i found rc4me.com and they were excellent with the help they provided. I got the 4 spider set up for my stock diffs first and then ordered their savage flux conversion kit complete with the single speed center diff. This kit was very complete and i only needed to order the new flux carry handle and the stock flux 22 tooth pinion gear and set screw. I contacted them by email a few times and they got back to me promptly within a few hrs and were very helpful and nice to deal with. I know this is the expensive way to go but i searched for options for over a month cause i didnt want to change out my brand new carbon fiber frame but now that it is all together and i essentially have a first gen savage flux i couldnt be happier with it. As for the motor and esc compbo i went with a hobbywing ez run max8 part # combo-max8/t plug-4272/2200kv or 38010400. This is a waterproof system that includes a program card which i highly recommend over the program on the esc watching for flashes and blindly pressing buttons. Hobbywing does sell two different systems and i went with the one rated for monster truck not truggy, someone else may be aboe to tell you the difference but i don't know. Batteries I'm running some older NiMH 7 cell 3000 and would recommend starting a young person with them as they can learn about charging batteries without the LiPo dangers. As for the controller and receiver my original 27mhz would not work. I'm not sure if its broke but it wasnt when i put it away. I ended up pulling the receiver out of my brand new traxxas stampede and using that and the controller. I just bought a replacement for that on ebay for $70. One note on the assembly is that the battery box mounts screw in from the inside of the frame so put the mounts on before you put the tvps on otherwise you will struggle for a while to get the screws in. I know this is more than you want to spend but i will say it is totally worth it if you want to resurrect this old truck like i wanted to. Now let me say this thing is now a freaking monster! It rips so fast on this setup that at first throttle it will pull the front wheels off the ground and balloon out the tires! I was completely surprised by this! I want to thank everyone here at this forum for the help they gave me and am so pleased to be able to give back now? i will try to attach some picks of my new monster. These picks were taken before i put the traxxas receiver in and it will not fit under the stock cover cause i used the waterproof box that came on my stampede that you can get on ebay for $10

Attachments

• 060D1D33-7F4A-491D-9144-0404FA07B18E.jpeg
    060D1D33-7F4A-491D-9144-0404FA07B18E.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FFA97A9A-D5A4-4BF5-8905-04CDC6AE30C1.jpeg
    FFA97A9A-D5A4-4BF5-8905-04CDC6AE30C1.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
[B]Zach S[/B] Sounds like That worked out well for you!! Very Cool, Thanks. But I'm {Not looking for Something that Rip's} Just the Opposite At his Age=7 going on 8, I'm looking for Slow 25-30 mph Tops, I may not even need that. That's why I was looking {Brushed Motor & ESC} as their dirt cheap as well. I could swing the rc4me.com center drive trans as it would make mounting the motor a bit easier I believe. Thanks I'll keep all this in mind.

[B]Zach S[/B] Sounds like That worked out well for you!! Very Cool, Thanks. But I'm {Not looking for Something that Rip's} Just the Opposite At his Age=7 going on 8, I'm looking for Slow 25-30 mph Tops, I may not even need that. That's why I was looking {Brushed Motor & ESC} as their dirt cheap as well. I could swing the rc4me.com center drive trans as it would make mounting the motor a bit easier I believe. Thanks I'll keep all this in mind.
[/H2]
the center diff will not help you mount the motor it is the same diff as in your truck just with a single speed. Integy sells a kit for about $40 that gives you a motor mount plate and mount set that will fit your current frame part number c23712 this only fits a brushed motor 540/550 size which sounds like what you are looking for. If you do go brushless rc4me also sells a 16 tooth pinion that would slow the truck down until you want it to go faster. The integy kit has been out of stock for a while but maybe you can find it somewhere. I know there is other part numbers for other colors too that may be available but they say they will be back in stock soon. Hope this helps

Great I will look around for that! That's all I'm really looking for. The kid has never driven anything rc and that would work. Thanks very Much. Brushed motors are cheap as well as ESC's So I'm just trying to get it moving for him. LOL I'm just tryin to be a little bit of a Dad for him. I would hate to see him running a round with a Pink Tu-Tu on the rest of his life:eek: Mom gave me the Ok, She never new these thing's existed other then what they sell in a toy store:rolleyes: I wanted to take him fishing and told her she could come along, But she said he's to young for that yet!! OK then Jezz????? Thanks bud!! I know integy had at one time had a huge internet store I'll have a look. If I have to order from China and wait, That would even be fine!! Cheers and Thanks a bunch.!!!!!!!

Great I will look around for that! That's all I'm really looking for. The kid has never driven anything rc and that would work. Thanks very Much. Brushed motors are cheap as well as ESC's So I'm just trying to get it moving for him. LOL I'm just tryin to be a little bit of a Dad for him. I would hate to see him running a round with a Pink Tu-Tu on the rest of his life:eek: Mom gave me the Ok, She never new these thing's existed other then what they sell in a toy store:rolleyes: I wanted to take him fishing and told her she could come along, But she said he's to young for that yet!! OK then Jezz????? Thanks bud!! I know integy had at one time had a huge internet store I'll have a look. If I have to order from China and wait, That would even be fine!! Cheers and Thanks a bunch.!!!!!!!
Good luck with your build and keep that kid away from those pink tutus!!

Members online

Back