Safety Engine Stop Mod for Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVT73

So, I bought the safety stop to install on my x4.6. I converted the TVP's to XL and had to mod the stop to work with the XL TVP chassis. Took about a hour to complete. Tools I used: dremel with coarse sanding drum(mini), nippers/cutters, & phillips.

Disassembly:Left TVP
image.jpeg
If you have a X TVP, overlay it on th XL TVP, line up your holes as best you can and trace that X's opening onto the XL TVP.
image.jpeg
Should look something like this: Start removing stock a little at a time, go slow so as not to chatter that dremel all over your TVP(it can happen real quick). I had my dremel set at 9, the TVP is aluminum and you can get away with higher speed. Notice I haven't removed the stock from all the areas that are traced out. I would grind a little, fit the TVP on the truck and test the safety stop for fit & function. The XL chassis has a bit different rake to it than the X. Once the fit was close I redrew new lines and only removed that stock.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Dremel & coarse mini drum.
image.jpeg
Word to the wise, don't even attempt the stone wheels, they are not nearly coarse enough for aluminum and they will load up quick.
image.jpeg
Part bag
image.jpeg
The safety stop top hole does not line up with the tank support hole on the XL TVP. You will have to mark, cut/nip/notch the plastic to fit. I plan on drilling the tank support and adjacent safety stop so that I can screw the two together for additional support, sense I could not use the top hole or I may just drill the tank support and install a body clip that will extend past the safety stop upper support, not sure on that yet.
image.jpeg
I tested it out tonight and it worked like a charm. Note: make sure the safety stop is setting flat on the engine mount plate. There are flat spots molded into the plastic, you will see them if you try this mod. I also had to grind about a 1/16 off the face and radius of the wedge. It was to close to the flywheel for my liking.

Take your time and have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Back