Safely Disposing of a LiPo Battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

hello

I was using an engine heater on my nitro engine and was using a 3s LiPo for the power well I think I let it stay on there to long cause it stopped heating the element and the battery got a little poofy, so I don't trust it anymore so I was wondering how to safely dispose of them I don't trust connecting it to the charger to discharge it in fear of self inferno. thanks

Paul

Or, you can submerge it in a water bath with 1 tablespoon of salt per 8 oz. of water. Let it sit for 2-3 days until it is fully discharged. Then you can toss it in your normal garbage.

Or, you can submerge it in a water bath with 1 tablespoon of salt per 8 oz. of water. Let it sit for 2-3 days until it is fully discharged. Then you can toss it in your normal garbage.
Does this still apply? Do you cut the main battery wire off and twist the wires together once you do this to keep it from recovering at all?

Just had on of my SMC 9000mah packs dip down to 1.78V on one cell after storage charging it last week. Went to charge it today and my charger wouldn't, said voltage low. So I checked it with a meter and one cell is at 3.6 while the other was at 1.78.

It's a little over a year old, ran in my erbe and savage flux. Not sure how many cycles, but would guess around 75-100 if not a bit more. I have 3 other 9000mah 2S SMC packs that were bought around the same time... guess it's time to order some replacements.

The safest way to dis charge a LiPo, is rig it up to a very power full air bag, and put it into a UPS box on your porch

Then just sit back and enjoy the show as some loosers trys to steal your mail :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Does this still apply? Do you cut the main battery wire off and twist the wires together once you do this to keep it from recovering at all?

Just had on of my SMC 9000mah packs dip down to 1.78V on one cell after storage charging it last week. Went to charge it today and my charger wouldn't, said voltage low. So I checked it with a meter and one cell is at 3.6 while the other was at 1.78.

It's a little over a year old, ran in my erbe and savage flux. Not sure how many cycles, but would guess around 75-100 if not a bit more. I have 3 other 9000mah 2S SMC packs that were bought around the same time... guess it's time to order some replacements.

That was the method required when submitting for replacement through Venom. An easier method is simply using an auto bulb (12V) and attaching to the main leads to discharge it completely down. And yes, I would cut off the connectors and twist together, as you say.

That was the method required when submitting for replacement through Venom. An easier method is simply using an auto bulb (12V) and attaching to the main leads to discharge it completely down. And yes, I would cut off the connectors and twist together, as you say.
Ok, I'll do that then. Didn't want to leave a time bomb in the dumpster. Although... the airbag thing did sound fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back