Safe heat range????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmansavage

Good afternoon I was just running my new Savage X and was tryin to get the temps to 250 but I can’t get it there without put it stalling after a full throttle run it’s runnin bout 275ish is the best I can get without a stall issue any help or advice still kinda new to tuning thanks.....

Best tune to performance, temps are a guide as depends on many parameters, anything over 300F for sustained periods is not good for engine life. Lots of full throttle will get temps up but thy should reduce at idle. If it cuts out at full throttle then hsn is too lean. It should have a different sound when too lean.

Best tune to performance, temps are a guide as depends on many parameters, anything over 300F for sustained periods is not good for engine life. Lots of full throttle will get temps up but thy should reduce at idle. If it cuts out at full throttle then hsn is too lean. It should have a different sound when too lean.
It only cuts out once I richen the hsn runs good starts good smokes well at idle it drops down to 258 to 263 I just want to get the best life from engine I can I am running Byron’s 20% gen 2 fuel thanks for the tip and advice

I usually shoot for 280F or less. I haven't had an engine that performed very well above that anyway. Typically my temps range from 230F-260F on any given day when it's 70F or more out.

Good sound, good power, good smoke, check temps to see where it seems happy as a guideline.

I usually shoot for 280F or less. I haven't had an engine that performed very well above that anyway. Typically my temps range from 230F-260F on any given day when it's 70F or more out.

Good sound, good power, good smoke, check temps to see where it seems happy as a guideline.
Thank ya sir it is def runnin good and good tune plenty of smoke and hard to keep it from wanting to loop over its temp is right around 273 i just don't want to fry a engine i love my Sav X now just got to figure out y my sav 21 will not shift going to go back to factory settings on carb then retune n if that don't work gonna get into trans do you know if i can just take the top of trans like i have seen on youtube??? Thanks again for your help

What? Kind of lost me with the word cannon.

You have a 21 savage that isn't shifting? The old 21 savage didn't have a trans case that allowed you to take the top off. You had to remove the whole thing from the chassis and split it. If it's an old old 21, they had a weak 2 speed pawl mechanism that was later upgraded with a metal piece:
https://www.amazon.com/86369-Clutch-Savage-2Speed-Racing/dp/B01L35DHBY

It bolted to the 2nd speed gear:
https://www.amazon.com/Transmission-Tooth-Savage-Speed-87227/dp/B000F7WME0

The old parts were 7629a, 7629b and 86094:
2020-0505-Savage21-2speedGear-original.jpg

Were replaced with these:
2020-0505-Savage21-2speedGear-updated.jpg

Before that came out, we would put in 2 of the pins instead of just 1 so the pawl didn't pick up quite as much inertia before slamming into 2nd gear. However, once the pawl breaks/rips out, then it doesn't lock into second gear anymore.

If you have the updated version, that's not likely the issue though. Could be just a bad 2 speed setting or your 2-speed one way bearing is gummed up/worn out. (part#: 86087)

Yes sir i do all i know is that i was told it was a shelf queen and i needed to break it in still when i got it which i did but no shift when i tried to adjust i could see what looked to be like old hard light brownish grease so if still no shift after retune i was gonna try n take it out disassemble it and clean it to see if that would help it, the upgraded parts do you know if they can be found??? Thanks again for all your help sorry if i confused ya but i have 3 savages the X, the 21, and the octane love the X and the octane but not real impressed with the 21 thus far lol! But again thanks for all your help and info

Latest posts

Members online

Back