Roto start won't engage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagemanXL

Hey all,
I have a question about the OWB in my savage XL, I have a few that work then don't work. I just replaced another and it still won't turn the engine over, just spins freely.
I cleaned the spares I have and put one in and it does the same thing. I have noticed that the hole in the OWB that fits the crankshaft pin is oblong, no longer round, could this be the problem? As all of them have this to some degree, some a lot worse than others. I don't want to buy another, it just gets too exxy.
This happens every other time I try to run thing and, it has happened since I bought it.

Any help?

Cheers.
:(

No, it was fairly clean in there.
I flushed everything with petroleum spirit, it leaves everything spotless when it evaporates. I just don't understand why these things continue to fail?
I think the needles are too hard and the body is too soft, it's gotta be something of that nature causing it.

How old is the engine? Have you looked into seeing if you can convert it to like the f 4.6 it did away with the owb.

Did you place it the correct way? It has to engage clockwise.. ;) Just asking, you wouldn't be the first..

Everything is the correct way in, the problem appears intermittent.
I got one working yesterday, then it just decided to spin freely again.

There has to be a reason for this, it's driving me crazy.

Cheers.
:confused:

Try a light coat of grease on the shaft, it helps repel any oil and actually helps make the OWB bite into it when spun up....

i put grease on my owb and that sorted it.. One way bearings do fail. or the shaft it runs on wears out causing the bearing not to grip... Try some nice grease on there..

this might help you out. a while ago i kept going thru OWB and my friends at his hobby shop put in a nut and shaft from another monster truck. not sure if it was from the Losi or something of that nature. my truck was a savage .21 then i put the picco. 27 and it still working great!!!

More than likely it was off a later savage x they don't have a one way bearing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back