Roto start vs Pullstart in my lrp.32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay F.

Ok, I'm debating getting the rotostart backplate this friday from the lhs for my lrp.32. I have the hpi nitro start that came with my savage. But, as luck would have it, the shaft for the rotostart(borrowed from a friend) is a different size than my nitro start. I would either have to buy the whole rotostart setup or use the shaft with a cordless drill. What do yall think?
Get the roto start backplate or just stay with the pullstart?

Ok, I'm debating getting the rotostart backplate this friday from the lhs for my lrp.32. I have the hpi nitro start that came with my savage. But, as luck would have it, the shaft for the rotostart(borrowed from a friend) is a different size than my nitro start. I would either have to buy the whole rotostart setup or use the shaft with a cordless drill. What do yall think?

Hi Jay

I cant really offer any advice but I'm interested in your question as I was looking at one of these motors and was wondering if my k5.9 HPI roto star would fit? If it didnt would the HPI shaft fit in the LRP setup. From your post I would assume no would be the answer to both of these. If you wouldnt mind I was just wondering if you could post what parts you would use to make the LRP 32 use roto start.

is this the motor your talking about

http://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/lrp-nitro-engine-zr-32-spec-2-pullstart.html

any advice would be much appreciated.

Theres the roto start conversion set. The lhs where I bought the engine sells them for it. My savage x has the nitro start, it has a hex shaft. The roto start has that t-shaped groove

Theres the roto start conversion set. The lhs where I bought the engine sells them for it. My savage x has the nitro start, it has a hex shaft. The roto start has that t-shaped groove
Thanks for the info, so the link I posted was the motor your talking about? I don't suppose you have a part number for the conversion kit?

thanks

Also, that is the engine i have. That lrp.32 is a beast to say the least. MASSIVE torque. I wasn't worried too much about crazy top end speed, as I only bash these days. So I kept the gearing stock. The amount of bottom end is unreal. The truck launches like a bullet. Even with the huge trencher x's i put on, it takes off like a bullet. Wheelies on demand too. With the amount of torque it has, I may go up a couple teeth on the bell

Also, that is the engine i have. That lrp.32 is a beast to say the least. MASSIVE torque. I wasn't worried too much about crazy top end speed, as I only bash these days. So I kept the gearing stock. The amount of bottom end is unreal. The truck launches like a bullet. Even with the huge trencher x's i put on, it takes off like a bullet. Wheelies on demand too. With the amount of torque it has, I may go up a couple teeth on the bell

When it's time to look for a new engine I think that will be the one I get. The k5.9 has been running well for me and holds a tune although I have read a lot of negative feed back about that motor.

If you happen to find out the part number for the roto start I'd be greatful to know, I have read the LRP 28 roto start back plate fits on the 32?

I have the. 32 on the way to me right now.

Any advise on gearing? Savage Xl with 40 series Mashers and midtank mod.

I am sticking with the pulls tarter on this one, I prefer that. Gives me a lot more feel on how the engine is doing. .

I'm runni g the stock gearing at the moment, 17/47. It has loads of torque. I am waiting on a 19t bell, going pick it up friday. I think with the amount of torque this mill has, there's plenty room for gearing.

I'm runni g the stock gearing at the moment, 17/47. It has loads of torque. I am waiting on a 19t bell, going pick it up friday. I think with the amount of torque this mill has, there's plenty room for gearing.
Be interested to hear how that goes as that was the bell I was thinking of getting for that motor.

I would like to k now too.

i will start with 15/49. Or 17/49 and upgrade from there..
Maybe add the Robinson Gen3 slipper.

I know I had a hard time with my savage-x and my LRP28S3 melting the spurs with taller gearing. I was attempting to run 47/16 at the time but as high as I could go was 49/15. It was fine in first gear, but when it hit second and I really leaned on the gas, the engine had more power than the slipper could deal with and it would just slip. Then glaze up and I'd have to take the spur off, rough up the pad/slipper plate and try again. This was with a fully compressed spring and traxxas 3.3 revo tires/wheels.

I gave up and lived with 49/15 for a long time.

Then I picked up an HPI steel 47T spur and hardened 16T bell. Problem solved. I did have to tighten it down quite a bit, but have been running this gearing for a couple years now without issue. Wheelies on demand anytime I'm in first gear and occasional 2nd gear shift wheelies when on grass.

I know I had a hard time with my savage-x and my LRP28S3 melting the spurs with taller gearing. I was attempting to run 47/16 at the time but as high as I could go was 49/15. It was fine in first gear, but when it hit second and I really leaned on the gas, the engine had more power than the slipper could deal with and it would just slip. Then glaze up and I'd have to take the spur off, rough up the pad/slipper plate and try again. This was with a fully compressed spring and traxxas 3.3 revo tires/wheels.

I gave up and lived with 49/15 for a long time.

Then I picked up an HPI steel 47T spur and hardened 16T bell. Problem solved. I did have to tighten it down quite a bit, but have been running this gearing for a couple years now without issue. Wheelies on demand anytime I'm in first gear and occasional 2nd gear shift wheelies when on grass.
The savage X only came with a plastic spur gear yeah? Do you have any footage of your savage?

The stock Savage starter backplate won't fit on the LRP. 32, you need to get the LRP 360 Rotatable backplate.

https://www.lrp.cc/en/products/nitr...ukt/360-drehbare-backplate-fuer-z28r/details/

This is what I'm using on my LRP. 32 and is compatible with the HPI Rotostart 2 "shaft".

The stock Savage starter backplate won't fit on the LRP. 32, you need to get the LRP 360 Rotatable backplate.

https://www.lrp.cc/en/products/nitr...ukt/360-drehbare-backplate-fuer-z28r/details/

This is what I'm using on my LRP. 32 and is compatible with the HPI Rotostart 2 "shaft".

Awesome thanks for that, So would that mean I would buy the above back plate, remove the pull start from the LRP 32. and then install the 360 back plate that works with HPI and I would be good to go?

Awesome thanks for that, So would that mean I would buy the above back plate, remove the pull start from the LRP 32. and then install the 360 back plate that works with HPI and I would be good to go?

Yes, I was using the 360 Rotatable backplate on my Savage XL with the HPI Rotostart 2 but decided to put the pullstart back. I'm just going to run the pullstart until it breaks, then I'll install the 360 backplate again. I got the 360 backplate on eBay for $23.00

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes, I was using the 360 Rotatable backplate on my Savage XL with the HPI Rotostart 2 but decided to put the pullstart back. I'm just going to run the pullstart until it breaks, then I'll install the 360 backplate again. I got the 360 backplate on eBay for $23.00

View attachment 1385

I reckon Santa might have to drop a new engine and back plate off to me this xmas :) thanks heaps for that, what clutch shoes and springs do you run on that motor?

I reckon Santa might have to drop a new engine and back plate off to me this xmas :) thanks heaps for that, what clutch shoes and springs do you run on that motor?

The LRP .32 is an awesome engine, got a lot of torque. My Savage XL wheelies at half throttle, going to need to find a gearing ratio to balance the low-end and top-end power.

I'm using the stock 5.9 flywheel and clutch shoes (aluminum). Suggest you put a little bit stronger clutch springs since the LRP 32 is a beast. I'm running the Ofna 1.1mm gold clutch springs.

The LRP .32 is an awesome engine, got a lot of torque. My Savage XL wheelies at half throttle, going to need to find a gearing ratio to balance the low-end and top-end power.

I'm using the stock 5.9 flywheel and clutch shoes (aluminum). Suggest you put a little bit stronger clutch springs since the LRP 32 is a beast. I'm running the Ofna 1.1mm gold clutch springs.
thanks for all that, I'm really hoping to find a good balance between low end and top end power.

I'm going to run my stock 5.9 hpi mill on my truggy .
How do you guys like the stock savage xl 5.9 motor ?

I'm going to run my stock 5.9 hpi mill on my truggy .
How do you guys like the stock savage xl 5.9 motor ?

I've read a lot of bad things about the 5.9 but it's been nothing but trouble free and very reliable for me, I installed my 5.9 in my truggy (trophy) which did liven things up. For Straight line speed it was around 4 car lengths behind my mates modded 2350KV 4S trophy flux. However on our very simple setup track I still beat him. I do have some footage of it I should edit it and put it up on youtube.

Latest posts

Members online

Back