Roto Start or Pull Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKLNHYDE

Just as the title states, which is preferred? I had a Roto Start on my 4.1 until yesterday during a few minutes of running it after finishing the mid tank mod. When I brought it back the entire back plate including the OWB, gears, and the screws were gone and nowhere to be found.

I like not having to yank until its running but its an extra battery I have to make sure is charged before going out. And there is no backup option if my battery dies unless I have a receptacle or an extra battery.

BUT I hear about the pull start strings breaking all the time and they are a PITA to rebuild with the crazy spring inside.

What's everyone like and why?

oooopsy.... no lock tight on the roto start? i use both ... my stock mills i use roto... but any of my other mills i use pull start ... both have pros n cons .. you mentioned them already .. extra battery ect ect .. broke rope ect ect ... just a personal preference is all...

I prefer the roto start, just keeps me from ever busting a knuckle or breaking a string.

Always had planty of batteries to use.
don't go roto if you don't have atleast 3 good 7.2v stick packs.

Max, it was a used rig I bought so I wasn't sure whether it had Locktite on it. I will most definately use it for the new one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott you need parts. Let me check I may have something for you.

roto + drill for me from now on. tired of rebuilding pull starts at the field, and paying 15-25$ for them when they are shot

Thanks Joe! I have the tank and battery box you wanted on my desk...If I'm not here when you swing by, they are on my inbox!

Thanks for all the inpur guys! I'm leaning towards replacing the Roto start because I'm still learning and i think it has come in handy getting the truck started in the beginning. Now I'm used to it.

you may go back and forth from one to the other, worst feeling in the world....work on your truck all week, get to the track, and your cord breaks on the first pull....you just got hs'd

I prefer pullstart roto's can distroy your mill

since going to the LRP, have never looked back at a rotostart, i like being able to go out with the igniter in my pocket and roam free

I'm fortunate enough that my mill is quite reliable still too. It starts immediately with the roto, first time, every time. So maybe a pull start isn't such a bad thing. I think I'll just replace it with a pull start and call it good...Thanks for all the input guys!

the pull start can be a pain to deal with when your mill just wont seem to fire, but it will make you take a double look over everything before you tear something up, like with the roto...

and rebuilding a pull start isnt all that bad, it gets alot easier the more you have done it, one word of caution, don't take the back plate off and decide to pull the rope...its a can of worms in there....lol

one word of caution, don't take the back plate off and decide to pull the rope...its a can of worms in there....lol

I had a buddy with a CEN MT and his truck wouldn't run for crap so naturally, it led to much yanking and eventually, the string did break. We rebuilt it three times before modifying it so it would last and then it was good to go but I do remember that nasty spring...It can very easily, turn a decent day into a horrible one...

Latest posts

Members online

Back