Roto Start install on a Savage 21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carman24

Will the Roto Start 2 work on a Savage 21 with the BB21 engine? It's currently a pull start. I bought the truck new in 2002 and it's still working great. When the engine is warm it takes more pulls to restart it and it wears me out.

Roto Start.jpg

how many gallons through the engine. hard starting when warm is typically a sigh of a worn out piston and sleeve. if it starts reliably after its cooled down it might be time for a rebuild or upgrade.

I've used only 2 quarts since I bought it. It sat on the shelf for a long time. I put after run oil in the cylinder to keep it lubed and checked it. Pulling it over it still feels like good compression and runs great after it starts. Maybe I could tweek one of the jets and that would help. I think having the roto start would make it easier than pulling it over.

another thing to try is a new glow plug, I'm not sure the rotostart will fit on that engine but you need to be careful of flooding with it because there is a higher chance of damage than with a pullstart.

Will the Roto Start 2 work on a Savage 21 with the BB21 engine? It's currently a pull start. I bought the truck new in 2002 and it's still working great. When the engine is warm it takes more pulls to restart it and it wears me out.

View attachment 11817
Yes the Roto-start 2 will work on a 21BB but if you have the old v1 shock towers make sure you get the backplate with the input for the wand in the upper left corner (as in your picture) and not the one with the wand input in the middle as you will snap the pins off the wand, the angle of the wand is too steep when inserted.

This style fits.
1710353442330.png
This style causes the wand pins to snap when used with v1 shock towers.

1710353500502.png

Latest posts

Members online

Back