Robinson 52/14 spur clutch combo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Savage

Anybody running the 52/14 steel combo from Robinson? Curious on performance differences? Too much wheelies?

Depends on the engine and tires.

14/52 sounds pretty low gearing to me. I checked the manual and that was for the original 21 savage, 25 savage. 47/17 on the SS Kit, SavageX. The XL ran 52/16. Maybe because of the big tires.

I have 16/47 in my X with an LRP30. I had 17/47, but I wanted it to accelerate a bit faster and get going in 2nd gear quicker so it was more useful in my skate parks.

I have the 4.6x and have some proline mx38 badlands. They're big, so i picked up the Robinson 52/14 spur-clutch bell combo to run with those tires. Truck is stock gears/tires now.

I have the 4.6x and have some proline mx38 badlands. They're big, so i picked up the Robinson 52/14 spur-clutch bell combo to run with those tires. Truck is stock gears/tires now.
Yeah, I just picked up another set of 3.8 trenchers. Was thinking of putting them on my X, but not sure how far down I'd have to gear it to compensate. My X doesn't have extended axles like my flux. I'm guessing the zero offset of the trenchers would need that changed or they would rub the shock a lot on the front. Will probably just throw them on my brushless revo.

These tires are the pre-mounts on f11 wheels with 1/2 inch offset. Thought the 52/14 gearing would pull these pretty good?20190123_122150.jpg

52/14 is really low though, still may be lower than you need to go even for those tires.

I think this shows what fits:
2015-1106-HPISavageGearingChart.jpg

So, mechanically, you can go up to a 16T if 54/14 is easy on the engine and too slow for you. Just make sure you get an HPI heavy duty bell or other hardened bell to run against a steel spur.

I'll pick up a 15t and 16t hardened bell and see what works the best with those tires. This is my 1st Savage, so reading thru these forums has been knowledgeable.

I'll pick up a 15t and 16t hardened bell and see what works the best with those tires. This is my 1st Savage, so reading thru these forums has been knowledgeable.
I never tried running tires as big as yours or the trenchers 3.8's on a savage either. The largest I have ran were t-maxx 3.3 3.8" tires, which are smaller OD and lighter (2oz less per tire) than the trenchers.

I also never ran an HPI engine in my savage. I've always bought used rollers or with bad engines and ran what I had run in other vehicles. So I don't know what yours can put up with.

Many years ago, I ran a very mild 21 (OS 21 RG) in my savage with traxxas 3.2" chevron tires from a t-maxx. I can't for the life of me remember what gearing I ran then, I want to say 52/15. I should weigh a set of those tires as they seem pretty light. I still have a few on 17mm wheels. Back then I ran 14mm.

Then way later I ran the LRP28 in it and geared up to 17/47 as well as increased tire size. I only went with the LRP30 because I thought my LRP28 was giving me issues, ended up being fuel system leaks I think. Anyway, changing it down to 16/47 just so I have a little more grunt in 2nd gear earlier on since my run up in the skate parks I bash at is pretty short and I was hitting 2nd gear at the base of the jump frequently. That said, it was very wheelie happy before in 1st gear, so now that will be worse... I'll just have to get better with throttle control.

Now with brushless, there's so much torque available all the time, you just try finding gearing/tires that don't cause things to run too hot.

Latest posts

Members online

Back