Resistance at top of cylinder travel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklein

I have two engines, one had been run much more than the other. I took apart the worst one first - that's the one that had the stuck crank pin. Now I took out the less run engine but found it was seized. I flooded it with PB penetrant and throttle body cleaner - it was pretty gunky inside. Probably had fuel sitting inside until it all dried up. I took off the rear starter assy. and the cylinder head. After the cleaners the driveshaft moves freely until the head is at the top of its travel, then there is resistance - you can manually turn the drive shaft past it but my other engine doesn't do this, it moves freely constantly with no resistance. What would this be? I suppose I need to take the piston sleeve out next and then remove the piston to look at the bearings on the crankshaft? Just want to be sure its not normal because it hasn't run nearly as much as the other engine.

IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO RESISTANCE WHEN THE PISTON REACHES THE TOP OF THE CYLINDER THAT IS CALLED "COMPRESSION" , OR IF THE GLOW PLUG IS OUT OR THE CYLINDER HEAD IS OFF THEN THAT WOULD BE CALLED
"PINCH" . BOTH ARE A GOOD THING.....

Yes, everything that ELWOOD said. So don't worrie. You should worrie about the engine that doesnt do that.
If everything was so clunked up, I would suggest taking out the crank and clean/inspect bearings, and take the carb to pieces, probably clunked up as well.

There is a guy who can reset your cylinder selve / piston set so it has pinch again . He’s in the USA . Where are you ?

The guy is called RayAracing in Net York state , you can find him on the internet easy. Does good job ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back