Replacing clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgilbigfish

broke off the screw that holds clutch bell on the main shaft ,now i have to replace shaft? Is it hard? I was trying to get the flywheel off and using the little screw for backup thought the flywheel had left handed threads, how do i get the flywheel off? The nearest hobby shop is over 100 miles away.any feed back would be great.

Well that does suck, the shaft is part of the crankshaft so if is broken off flush the only thing I can thing of is to try heating it and drilling it out with a 2mm drill very carefully, if it will not come out you will need to replace the crankshaft, actually the entire engine would be less costly I believe, as for the flywheel it is just pressed on not threaded so to get that off I use a small battery terminal puller of the 2 jaw variety.....

If your not that fickle, take off the flywheel nut and whack the back of the flywheel with a wrench. Usually pops off. It's only held on by friction.

Worse case for the screw, with a thin dremel cutting disk, cut a slit in the end of the screw, will probably cut a bit of the crank as well, but it's basically garbage at the moment anyway. Heat the crank up a bit with a torch where the screw is, then try using a standard screwdriver to back it out using the slit you made in it. Buggering up a few mm of the end of the shaft usually isn't that big of a deal as you put on shims anyway. You can grind it flush again if you get the screw out, then when you put in a new screw, make sure it's short enough to not bottom out before it's tight.

OFNA used to have a flywheel retaining nut with an attached shaft. You could cut the existing shaft at the end of the threads, then use the new nut/shaft combo. Never tried it myself.

Turn out the broken screw with a dental tool, thankyou guys for the feed back

Latest posts

Members online

Back