removing and replacing slipper clutch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

I've Tried Taking Out The Slipper On My Sav X, I Used The Manual And Took Off The Roll Bar Then Removed The Two Screws Holding It And I Tried Pulling It Out And It Just Comes Out A Bit Then Snaps Back In Like Its Attached To A Spring Or Something! Lol Once Everything Is Loosened Do U Just Pull Hard To Get It Out Or What? I Know Newbie Question I Guess But I'm Not Totally A Newbie I Just haven't Done Anything With The Slipper Till Now!

gee thanks for the help y'all! ha ha just kidding but i could use some advice as to how to remove the slipper clutch assembly!

wish i could help but never messed with one...just get a bigger prybar and it will come off one way or another....he he lol:bigsmilie:

Hey, SavageShaun...
Does your owners manual give you any guidance?

There are those who will say to go to a standard savage 25 spur and dump the X spur.

Thats What I'm Wanting To Do Actually Doob! The Manual Shows A Pic Of Taking The Roll Bar Off, Taking 2 Screws Out And The Top Part Of The Tran With The Spur Lifts Off But It Was Like It Was Attached To A Elastic Band Ha Ha As Soon As I Let Go Of It It Snapped Right Back Into Place And I Didnt Want To Pry To Hard! SO I GUESS WHAT I'm ASKING IS HOW DO U CHANGE THE SLIPPER CLUTCH TO THE SAV 25 ONE AS IT CAME AS A EXTRA WITH MY TRUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to help, but this is not my area of experience.
I own a SS 4.6 and no X versions, so it's grey area to me.

I'm sure someone will step up with some answers very shortly.
Hang in there and good luck.

Thanks Anyway! I Love My X But I'm Wishing I Had Of Waited For The Ss Version, Oh Well BY THE TIME I'm DONE WITH IT THERES A GOOD CHANCE IT WONT BE A "X" EITHER LMAO AS I'VE NOTICED THE SAV X 4.1 IS NOW DISCONTINUED IN MOST PLACES!

I found the manual with an exploded view, but thats all the info I can find.

Ya I Know Thats What I Have And I Followed It But It Didnt Want To Come Out! Lol Who Knows? Thanks Anyway Its Appreciated!

Are you trying to take it all off at the same time? Try one piece at a time. I have noticed that the last plate before the trans sometimes sticks to the dowel in the trans shaft.

ahhh ok thanks for the help savage x ss ya i took off the roll bar and the 2 screws and was trying to take it out and like u said it seemed to be "stuck" all i need off is the top half with the slipper clutch on don't i? as all I'm trying to do is replace the sav x slipper with the sav 25 one that came as a extra with my truck!

No I haven't Had Time To Try Removing It! I'm Sorta Afraid To Yank To Hard As I Might Screw Something Up!

So I Take It U Have Changed Slipper Clutches Before, Well How Did U Go About Doing It?

The ones I've changed out have been the sav 25 version. Undo the nut, take off the spring. Then each clutch plate and don't forget to watch for the dowel in the trans shaft after the last plate, it comes out, don't lose it.

oh ok! but how do u take off the nut and spring without taking the tran out as its almost right against the throttle on the carb. do u just use a open ended wrench to take off nut?

I have found that its easiest to just take out the engine and fuel tank. Four screws on the engine plate and you have it out, you can access the screws through holes in the skid plates.

ok thanks for the help its really appreciated!! heres some reps for your help!

Also, if you have the east access trans case, it would be easier to just remove the top portion of the trans and then remove the slipper. Unless your changing spur gear teeth count and need to reset the gear mesh. And yes you can use a small open end box wrench to losen the slipper nut. That's what I use to adjust mine. I can't remember what size it is though.

I found the manual with an exploded view, but thats all the info I can find.

I've tried it this way, only one problem. Dogbones. There is no way you can remove it like that, the dogbones won't let you. Peace.:whipit:

Yes Thats What I'm Trying To Do Extremsavage Is Just Get The Top Half Off So I Can Change The Slipper Over To The Standard Sav 25 One I Took The Roll Bars Off And Took Out The 2 Screws But it Wouldnt Come Out! i got it to come out a bit but lost grip and it shot right back into place like it was attached to a rubber band lmao And I Was Afraid To Pull Really Hard! So How Did You Get The Top Half Off Yours?

You should have to take out a total of 6 screws. 2 on each side of the trans. case that go through the TVP's. And another 2 that go down through the top section into the bottom section. If you can get some pics, that might also help out a bit.

yes i did take the 4 screws that hold the roll bar and go into the tvp's and then the 2 that come out from the top just as it showed in the manual and it felt like it was coming out but then it snapped back into place and i didnt want to yank hard!

i have a 4.1 and there are only 6 screws that u gotta take out to take out the top of the tranny to replace the slipper clutch. the 2 for the roll bar and the 4 for the top of the tranny. make sure that the throttle and brake linkage doesn't catch the roll bar. i had no problem taking mine out and could help u out more if u'd like.

hmmm the manual says theres only 2 screws u have to take out from the top of the trans and then the roll bars so maybe i do need more help lol

Ya It Was Just Getting Caught On The Linkage I Got It Out! Thanks So Much For Your Help!

Well First I Realized There Were 3 Screws That Came Out From The Top Of The Trans, Then It Was Hanging Up On The Linkage But Got It All Figured Out And Can Change Out The Spur In About 5 Minutes Now Duhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back