Receiver Antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McF

I have a 3PM 2.4GHz and the receivers (R603FF) antenna looks real short. Does anyone else have this radio / receiver and could you tell me how long is it supposed to be? Obviously I need to cut my antenna 'holder', but I won't until someone can set me straight.

Thanks.

My spectrum dx3 is the same. It's supposed to be like that. On my hellfire I don't even use a tube, I zip tied it to the rear shock tower brace.

All antenna lengths are based on radio frequency. The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna. Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't just cut an antenna. While it may work, it will never work as well as the correct length.

The communications radios we use at work are around 450Mhz. An antenna length change as small as 1/2" can cause up to an 8dB loss in the effective signal.

Just cut yer tube, and fit the length of antenna that came with the receiver!

Stock savage radio gear - 27 Mhz - HF frequency (high frequency - in the "AM" band)
Stock Warhead gear - 72 Mhz - VHF freq. (very high freq. - in the "FM" band)

3PM gear - 2.4 Ghz - UHF freq. (ultra high freq.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The antenna on the 2.4ghz radios is about 8". You supposedly can cut them to about 5" without problems but I would leave it the full length.

I to would leave them to length. If your 2.4 your way a head of theothers with 27 or 72 expecially with the length of the antenna. The 2.4 short antenna is very sweet as it can easily be tucked under the body of the truck.

All antenna lengths are based on radio frequency. The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna. Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't just cut an antenna. While it may work, it will never work as well as the correct length.

The communications radios we use at work are around 450Mhz. An antenna length change as small as 1/2" can cause up to an 8dB loss in the effective signal.

Just cut yer tube, and fit the length of antenna that came with the receiver!

Stock savage radio gear - 27 Mhz - HF frequency (high frequency - in the "AM" band)
Stock Warhead gear - 78 Mhz - VHF freq. (very high freq. - in the "FM" band)

3PM gear - 2.4 Ghz - UHF freq. (ultra high freq.)

wow...spoken as someone who knows what he's talking about Moto...this is probably a stupid question, but answer me this...my Spektrum has a fairly short antenna lead...is there any disadvantage or advantage to extending the lead? the problem is, my lead isn't long enough to reach from the spot I chose for mounting my antenna to where my RX will be located...it might reach barely, but it won't leave me squat for going vertical...

K0m0do67- You should be fine leaving the rest under the body. You may not get quite as far as you could have before but should be far enought away from your self you wont be able to control/see it anyway.

wow...spoken as someone who knows what he's talking about Moto...this is probably a stupid question, but answer me this...my Spektrum has a fairly short antenna lead...is there any disadvantage or advantage to extending the lead? the problem is, my lead isn't long enough to reach from the spot I chose for mounting my antenna to where my RX will be located...it might reach barely, but it won't leave me squat for going vertical...

k0m0d0,

Don't change the original length, it is very important because the antenna length is based on the radio wave length of the signal. Obviously, it would work better if it was mounted vertically, but the MOST IMPORTANT part is that the antenna is the correct length - no matter what the orientation is.

k...fine...so much for my fancy antenna mount :( LOL

so does that mean that if, for some reason, the lead becomes disconnected (read as ripped loose) from the RX, the replacement lead would need to be the same length? guess I had better make note of the stock length then...

it hasn't happened to me before, but my buddy with the Revo has had it happen...one of the track marshals flipped his truck back onto it's wheels by yanking the antenna...I'm guessing it was one of his competitors LOL he had a run-away, next run, due to his antenna falling off...

k...fine...so much for my fancy antenna mount :( LOL

so does that mean that if, for some reason, the lead becomes disconnected (read as ripped loose) from the RX, the replacement lead would need to be the same length?

Like I say, it doesn't have to be, but for optimum performance it should be the original length.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back