Rear locked diff in Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codered3232

I was going thru a new Savage XL I bought and I thought the rear diff was locked up. When I pulled it apart it had a sold thru shaft. Is this normal, if so what are the pros and cons
Thanks again

I have to agree on a high traction surface a spool like that can break things down the line... may be ok on dirt but a differential is usually preferable

No not normal. A locked diff is only good on loose surfaces. On tight surfaces it will break axles.
Wow, I'm glad I saw this comment! I just shredded my 3rd or 4th diff and was on the verge of locking it, but maybe I'll just keep on building them. Parts keep getting more difficult to find it seems. I almost feel like buying several kits and building several diffs at a time, however, I guess you can't shim it properly when you do that. Is that why you can't buy a complete diff assembly, cause it has to be shimmed???

Wow, I'm glad I saw this comment! I just shredded my 3rd or 4th diff and was on the verge of locking it, but maybe I'll just keep on building them. Parts keep getting more difficult to find it seems. I almost feel like buying several kits and building several diffs at a time, however, I guess you can't shim it properly when you do that. Is that why you can't buy a complete diff assembly, cause it has to be shimmed???
I've bought them new on flea bay, they are complete.

Screenshot_20170522-162528.png

I would make sure they are shimmed right... don't take alot of work considering they already in your hands.... if you have the manual they have shim recommendations under differentials... when done you can fill with fluid or grease to get your desired feel also....

You also should locktite the gear screws also...

I would make sure they are shimmed right... don't take alot of work considering they already in your hands.... if you have the manual they have shim recommendations under differentials... when done you can fill with fluid or grease to get your desired feel also....

You also should locktite the gear screws also...
So I have heard a lot about "shimming" diffs. Is this more or less settling the back lash between the ring and pinion gears

So I have heard a lot about "shimming" diffs. Is this more or less settling the back lash between the ring and pinion gears
The way I understand it and the reason I do it is to prevent the diff from slopping side to side. You have to install shims between the drive shaft cup and the diff to prevent the diff mesh changing from slide back and forth. Maybe someone else can better explain it? I hear it's very important, and I try to do it to the best of my knowledge.

I have one of those diff locks, and have spares because they do break, the axles/driveshafts have never broken in my truck, even when driving on tarmac, but it does hook left real hard on acceleration.

They are good for dirt tracks and grass, but again, you need to change your driving style as the load on the slipper clutch, gearbox and axles is increased quite a bit.

Cheers.
:)

Latest posts

Members online

Back