Re-pinching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had it done in the past.

From my RCNT thread: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/t...serviced-by-rayaracing-photo-intensive.56420/

All I had him do was do a mild pinch on all three engines.

The engines are a SH28, Dynamite Mach 427, XTM 24.7.

The XTM had pinch still, but it was acting goofy late last season, so I figured why not send it in with the other two. The other two are a buddy's of mine and I'm getting this done for him. Neither of which would hold a tune, stalled constantly, ran hot and wouldn't idle hardly at all.

EDIT:
For those that missed it on the end, the cost is $25 (for pinch+priority ship) for each single sleeve/piston shipped if you do individuals. I did 3 at the same time, so it was $55 total.

This is a link to Ray's site: Ray A Racing Sleeve Service/Tooling

You can find the Resize Order form on his site. He responds pretty quickly to emails and is generally a decent guy to talk to.

Pics of the before:
2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston01.jpg

2008-0315-XTM247-Mach427-SH28-SleevePiston02.jpg

XTM 24.7:
2008-0315-PistonPinchXTM247small.jpg

SH28:
2008-0315-PistonPinchSH28small.jpg

Dynamite Mach 427:
2008-0315-PistonPinchMach427small.jpg

Photo's after:

XTM 24.7:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchXTM247.jpg

Mach 427:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchMach427.jpg

SH28:
2008-0327-RayARacingPinchSH28.jpg

It seems he did a nice job on the XTM as I've put that engine back together and put it back in my buggy. With the GP out and it being lubed with ARO, it will turn over with the pull-start. Not easily... But I shouldn't have any issues re-breaking it in.

The other two engines were in far worse shape (as noted by Ray) and as you can see in the photo's. The piston would easily push out the end of the sleeve.

The "after" photo's are set where I could push the piston in as far as I could by hand (without a large amount of force), so you can see where the pinch now begins.

I'll post results after all engines are put back together and we get them broke-in again and running.

Just thought I'd share what can be done to an old tired piston/sleeve for $25 shipped (less per set the more you do at the same time).

Great article Olds, We have a couple of Machinist at our disposal so we are trying it after watching couple of English guys showing how it is done. Here is the link to their video.

We are working on two engines (4.6 and 5.9 HPI's) and will let you know how it works for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Back