Rant: Had it up to here with stainless hardware!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orcusomega

I have totally had it with stainless hardware. Yes, I know that it is lighter, and I know that it's purty, but it straight up SUCKS. I have had to drill out more stainless screw heads in the last week than I care to count. Never again - everything is going back to steel. It rusts - big deal, only if you leave it out in the rain or don't clean up after a bash... but it is TONS stronger. I have also given up on buttonhead screws - they are a pain in the tail too - just easier to use full height heads - besides I have a bit for my cordless drill for these!

(PHEW) Ok, I am done :)

Bob

I don't think there is much weight difference from steel to Stainless steel. I have to agree they suck, I will never and have never used them on my R/C's because the Hex's strip easy. Always grade 12.9metric. I have to agree I like cap heads as well.

you need to buy quality stainless if you want it to work. I know of no rc screw kit that uses A4 stainless screws. Good stainless is harder then steel and should strip your tools b4 the screw head.

I have never had a issue with the good stuff. Same stainless hardware has seen 3 different savage builds over 2 + years

I just got 10.5 strength (good) steel hardware for my flux build. Only after three in and outs (mock up etc) the heads are going. So I'm on the other side of the fence... But again, Id never buy hobby grade hardware.

Screw on left was in and out about 3 times here. Other two were not even tightened yet. A4 stainless would never do this. Over 20 removals.

Perfect driver was used with good edges ..
DSC_0708.jpg

I have stainless screws on my 12r5 and I love them. Again not the junk you get in those stainless screwkits but good screws cost me 2x that of the standard hardened steel but that car has to be ripped down after every heat on race day so stripped heads are not an option.

So when buying hardware should I look for the A4 designation, or the 12.9 mentioned earlier in the thread?

I ordered 92095A196 which is 18-8 stainless, they do not have metric in anything else. Just to give you the heads up.everything from now on will be 12.9 steel...

Grrrrr....

Bob

I've been having pretty good luck with my Screw kits... I use RC Screwz and I have only stripped a couple (all button heads... grr) on all 3 trucks I have them for (Savage, LSP, B44).

Latest posts

Back