Racing transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

There are a lot of race builds floting around the site as of late so I thought I would post up some usefull information for them.

I have noticed a lot of these race builds running three speed transmissions. This is really a waste; a two speed trans would be much better.

When racing you only ever hit second gear on most tracks for a few seconds here and there and on most tracks the straights aren't even long enough to wind the motor out in second. Yea you could make your trans shift super fast but it is much faster and better to just let your motor wind out a little to make that top end speed rather than trying to make the speed on the low end of your power band. These motors were made to be used through the entire power band and not using it to the fullest exstent is only wasting that top end and will result in slower lap times and less control in the end.

When tuning the shift point in your two speed set it to shift at the top of the powerband of the motor. Making it shift to soon will cause it to drop out of the RPM range that your motor works best causing you to bog down. This will make you come up short on those Doubles and Triples and could even cause you to shift right out of turns causing you to loose alot of time.

Inconclusion Let that Fire Breathing Nitro Mill do what it does best and you will see better laptimes and be happier with the handling of your Racer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been compiled by me in talks with alot of racers and motor guys. Some from this site some from others and than racers from the tracks that I frequent here. Add that to personal experence with every transmission option there is for the Savage except a center diff and you get my post.

I will also have reviews of a nitro savage running both a stock flux trans and a high speed flux trans very soon.

I am curently running a high speed flux trans and will be putting on the track for testing once the picco is fully broken in. I will try them with both a stock picco 26 and my ercm 28. If I had to put money on it though I would say the 44 tooth Is going to be better on the track than the 39.

i knew this info long ago before there even was a three speed nub lol why i never went to a three- speed

I have been running the single speed set up since the Picco .26's hit the market lol. Couldn't have said it better myself.......

Thanks Robin Some of that stuff should sound familar as you gave me alot of the info about using the full rpm range of a motor.

Well its been over a year with the single speed trans setup and I will never go back to a two or three speed. Never have to worry about grenading the trans or slipping or tuning the shift points. Just put a CB/Spur on that gives you desired proformance range for the track you may be on and go.

I say that this is a must for anyone who wants to race their savage.

I know this is a old thread but how did you go about making your trans a single speed? Did you simply adjust your tranny so 2nd never engages or did you actually mod the trans by removing 2nd? Sorry if you've got this ? before.

There are a lot of race builds floting around the site as of late so I thought I would post up some usefull information for them.

I have noticed a lot of these race builds running three speed transmissions. This is really a waste; a two speed trans would be much better.

When racing you only ever hit second gear on most tracks for a few seconds here and there and on most tracks the straights aren't even long enough to wind the motor out in second. Yea you could make your trans shift super fast but it is much faster and better to just let your motor wind out a little to make that top end speed rather than trying to make the speed on the low end of your power band. These motors were made to be used through the entire power band and not using it to the fullest exstent is only wasting that top end and will result in slower lap times and less control in the end.

When tuning the shift point in your two speed set it to shift at the top of the powerband of the motor. Making it shift to soon will cause it to drop out of the RPM range that your motor works best causing you to bog down. This will make you come up short on those Doubles and Triples and could even cause you to shift right out of turns causing you to loose alot of time.

Inconclusion Let that Fire Breathing Nitro Mill do what it does best and you will see better laptimes and be happier with the handling of your Racer.

True - What Bob is asking how does one go about creating a Single speed trans.? What part numbers and the procress of doing it?

Latest posts

Members online

Back