Pull start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garagedoorguy

The one way bearing just went out on my savage. I really like the roto start. It can really make you lazy, especially when you are having starting problems. Is this a normal problem or a perfomance drag. Everybody else I see with a savage or any other monster truck for that matter, has a pull start. Is there any performance gain? How sor is your wrist the next day after you had a problem with starting the motor is it.

the bearing fails b/c the rotor does not "feel" when the engine is flooded or having issues. it just pushes thru it.

the PS allows u to "feel" the tightness and make corrections. when properly tuned the PS should fire up with a few pulls. even mistuned cars will fire up, just take a bit longer.

the problem iv found is the ps will eventually break the rope. i broke mine a few times on diffrent engines.after a while the rope gets frayed then snap. when the rope rides on the coller coming out of the ps it will wear the rope. iv even had the rope break after the engine starts then dies and when it dies it tryed to pull the handle through the starter and break the rope.it dose give you a feel of when the engine is flooded.the roto start has problems too. the button on my rotostart used to get stuck in the on position. then it quit totally. i replaced it with another switch and is working now. my picco has broke a lot of oneways. but they usally break when the engine fires off and dies quickly. i have heard it snap after the engine quits.iv also broken one trying to start a flooded engine and didnt realize it was flooded. i don't really like either way of starting, i personally like the bumpstarter. it is the most reliable way iv ever used, but it cant be used on the savage. i think someone should make a belt and pully system for a flywheel starter for the savage. i have been thinking of getting a supercharger flywheel and belt to try to make a belt starter thet can be used with some sort of shaft with a rotostart or somthing to spin the flywheel to start.it would make it a little more reilable of a starting system.

i had the rota start on my 21bb engine and it blow it upbecause it got jammed and then the rota start still turned it so i need a new piston linear and conrod, i prefer pull start but there is also bad thngs about it, it snaps comes out and huts your hands after a while.

the rotostarts are nice but seem to trash things easialy. i like the bumpstart the best but it cant be used with a savage.the pullstart is easier in some ways than all methods. if it stalls all i have to do is carry a small ignighter in my pocket and pull once and I'm back up and running.til the rope either wears out or comes untied.I'm going to run the pullstart on my sts when i get it and maby upgrade to the roto later. I'm actually trying to make a belt system to go to the flywheel so i can start without the roto or pull. been thinking of getting a supercharger flywheel with a belt to attach it to a pully and use a roto gun to turn it over.

sometimes the one way bearing on the rotostart gets oils in it and slips. I would try taking it out and cleaning it with some brake parts cleaner and letting it dry.

Brian

Very Simple fix for all Rotostart problems.
It needs an adjustable clutch like a cordless drill.
IF your mess floods easily,loosen glow plug enough to reduce compression afetr the motor starts tighten plug and GOOOOOOO !!!!!!

well the sts .28 i just got has the best pullstart iv ever had. i have to heat theblock and loosen the gp but it has not broken yet,[ it will probally break now iv said this]. as far as pullstarting goes , its ok, i can really feel it when it gets flooded and when its about to start. i trhink the rotostart is a lot easier but it dosent give me the feel like the pullstart dose. i guess if i just maby payed a little more attention it would of done the same as the pullstart. I'm probally going to get the roto backplate and put it on after the breakin is over. i really think what really helps the starting system ,nomatter if its pull or roto,is if the one way bearing assy has a pin that goes into a hole in the end of the crank. the starting systems that iv had problems with are the ones that the one way housing is slotted and the pin that comes out of the crank goes into a loose fit slot. i think this causes a shock to the housing while its being turned over, breaking or cracking the housing.i think the slop thats there is the main reason for the housing breaking,and when the engine gets flooded it puts too much pressure on the oneway housing.

get a pullstart dude........you will like it........i used to swear by the rorostart untill a friend at the track give me a pullstart........with that rotostart i was going through 1ways like mad..........since i went to using pullstarts, i haven't blown a bearring yet and its been nearly 4 months............get one........makes your toolbox lighter too........

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back