Pull start conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepjunk94

Changed my new Savage X 4.6 over to pull start today. For you who have the newest model you will need HPI 1428 pull start kit and HPI 1430 one way bearing. I like it because there is less to carry around, just the remote and an igniter. Perhaps its just my engine tune but it like some throttle to fire up. I have read forums and watched YouTube video of people having trouble starting there 4.6, simply adjust your throttle trim and give it some fuel.;)

I went with a pull start on my last Savage X and will never go back to any kind of roto start. Like you, I like the fact that I'm not carrying around a lot of stuff.

when I go bashing I take 3 or 4 along to play with, I always have my table , stands chair and all my other support gear, I prefer my trucks to start and sit idling to warm up, therefore i set my stuff up to run that way. I use either a tiger drive or rotostart on all my rigs, but nuthin wrong with pullstarts mind you, I just got 2 bad shoulders so roto is what I use..... the main thing is to have some fun not frustrations........

True that Preacher_Ed, I have two other monster trucks that I converted to pull start. Prob a bad word around here but they start with the letter T, lol!!

Yeah your right Jam, what ever works for you. It's all about having fun and how you want to go about it.

Thats all I do this for is fun, I raced competetively in the 80's and 90's became too stressful so I quit and just started collecting trucks to have fun with......
Now I take a few out and if one breaks I can still enjoy the ones left runnin...

I honestly hate the roto-start, way to many things that can cause issues. That being said, I recently converted my LRP to roto-start. I spent one weekend recently trying to retune it after having it sit for atleast a year and ended up getting blisters on one of my hands due to the pull start. So there is positive and negative to both starting methods.

As long as the truck starts and you can have fun with it, who cares what you use? :)

BTW, welcome to the forum Jeepjunk94! Post up some details and pics of your RCs when you get a chance.

I stopped using pull starts because I didn't have enough skin left to keep pulling on that tiny little handle. When the engine is not cooperating I like to have my roto start and skin. I don't think i'll ever go back.

Everyone's experience is different. I do agree that the important thing is to have fun in the hobby, find what works for you, and go out and break stuff.

I have a pull start on my savy, too. I had the rotostart, but hated how fast it went through owb"s. I will never go back to rotostart, however I might try an ez start or tigherdrive. but I'm doing other mods first. whatever works for u. I do hate the handle on my pullstart, though. my truck is a hard starter.

I might try an ez start or tigherdrive.

The Tiger Drive will give you the biggest headache you ever had. Sullivan products website will tell you the same thing however worded differently. I gave up and went back to pull start. Write ups on how to make a Tiger Drive work on a Savage are difficult to find also.

Not sure what ya mean, I have several engines with tiger drives on them, but for my savage with the axial .32 I did go with the proven rotostart used by hpi on it...... Never balks at all and always fires up within 1 or 2 rotations on the engine......

I know what it says :) the savage is a funny beast unto itself on many things, I just know what battles to pick I guess. thats the whole reason I went with a stock roto unit on mine. I love how easily my truck fires up with it also.....

The roto start has always been reliable for me. One time I tried a tiger drive on an lrp z 28 r and iended up having to cut out the shock tower to get the drive shaft in. Must have been the wrong one.

Some how two of the same pic showed up, you will notice the T-Maxx on the right still has EZ Start, I jumped the gun when I said all mine were converted to pull start. Parts for it are on the way.

So to recap, will a factory roto start from hpi fit on a lrp .30 spec 4 in a dual shock older version savage x 4.6? I recently did the engine swap and after bone sawing the rewind into the fuel tank upon break in followed by a knot pulling through the second time I think I'm ready to try the roto start. Little bugger has loads of compression, shesh!!

Much appreciated, two follow ups, any recommendations on a roto starter, most I find are a kit without batt, know where to get just the starter with batt? Lastly, that page I visited about tiger drives and it's chart said the savage x frame may need modification, is this a direct bolt in replacement or will it require some mods?

Awesome, much appreciated once again. I'm waiting on rewind rope at the lhs but next pay check I'm getting the conversion and like you say just use a drill. I was just unsure if it was just the tiger drive or all conversions *required mod but you cleared that up quite nicely. I kind of wish I would have gone the non pull start lrp, get a few more r's but something tells me I'll be more than happy with the one I have. Thanks again!!

I kind of wish I would have gone the non pull start lrp, get a few more r's but something tells me I'll be more than happy with the one I have. Thanks again!!

Be happy you got the pullstart version as the non pullstart :ercm: will not be able to be started unless you have a starter box to spin the flywheel :)

A guy I bashed with a few times got the LRP30X (non-pullstart) for his LST2, then bought the crank, backplate, owb, startershaft and pull-start for the normal 30... pretty sure he just wasted a lot of money as I'm guessing the only real diff between the non-pullstart and pullstart performance numbers is just due to the engine spinning the OWB.

I was curious as to the difference between the two but to be honest, it was amateur hour when I went to break in that lrp. It's general rule of thumb on a say a yz250 2-stroker that you force compression stroke a light once over, find the sweet spot and start sawing til you hear crackling. Same, I've found for these little guys, before I was like shesh better break in right, do what they say......do what they say. What I've found is, let comfort and familiarity be your guide. Once I got it up to temp I started playing around with mid and high speed adjustment and same as any legit sized 2-stroke quad or bike, just we call the mid speed the low speed needle. Absolutely love it, cannot wait to get more tanks ran through it, I can still hear that thing buzzing, haaaaaa so can the neighbors. Thanks again for the replys and advice and moral of the story, man up.......don't be afraid to break it, or so I've learned thus far.

meh,
most of my bigblocks are dewalt powered with the exception of the losi 454it has combo startand ropes constantly broken and a PITA to fix. and the Picco is pullstart. pullstart in that one is pretty forgiving and fairly easy to fix when the line snaps

Latest posts

Members online

Back