Project XLLL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what the FLUX

is goin' on around here!
XLarge Low & Lean
Gday all, there are so many sick projects here on green/red hpisf at the moment that I've been inspired. :beforeme::beforeme::beforeme:
So it's time for some XL tvp's and a few upgrades (yeah right:hardlaugh:).I've got a couple of parts already, some are on there way and more are still to be ordered. At the moment my flux weighs about 7.2kg/15.8lb with maximizer's & zombies more with the big joe's
DSCF1292.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

I want to lose as much weigh as possible, a couple a lbs/about a kilo would be nice, but I doubt I'll be able to do it. Getting rid of the alloy LST shocks and mounts will be a good start. But it's a darn shame coz they look KILLA.

I'll be honest the price of PRC's xl tvp's is a bit scary, but if I got alloys I'd get'em anodized which isn't cheap, so I it's not gonna be much more getting the cf tvp's then the alloy's, but alot tougher. So J you'll be hearing from me soon mate.

I saw this beast just after I got my flux and thought, "I want mine that low".
IMG_9641.jpg

But the custom fabbing involved is beyond me, but PRC's come to the rescue with there sweet LCG shock tower, so they are a must have.
SavageSam's racer gave me the idea to get some Jammin' rear 16mm big bore shocks which cost over $60 a pair :cussing:, went on :ebay: and managed to score 2 pairs for $59.
BwhyO6wBGkKGrHqRiwEv10DtKOBMJWqc0lF.jpg

$26 with the gray hard springs :cool:
3300.jpg

$33. Hopefully they arrive this week sometime.

Was lucky enough to get some savage 5T axles about a month ago, been looking for some 17mm hexs to go with them.
383055taxles.jpg

Gonna give these Ofna 12mm offset a go, they look pretty tough, but they'd wanna be for $19.50 a pair
ofn27108.jpg

The pin hole is further out on the 5T axles then the flux so I'll need to shim the hexs. 8x16mm washers will do nicely.
DSCF1459.jpg

Also ordered some stuff from TCS which should be here this week as well.
102401_002m.jpg

Heatsink motor mount
BP diffs
Sway bar set
GCM battery box mounts
XL dogbone
SHD drive shafts (spares)
Lightweight idler & drive gears
HD 18-23 drive gear

I'll keep you guys posted as I get more parts and start the build.

cya

Brad

Ill be reading ...

BTW that diff mod I still don't have the shim sizes for the insides for. but you need 16X2 so 32 shims in this size. I had them in blown up stuff over time. Fred ordered his. I tried to get the info off him but he didn't know it off the top of his head... I never knew just had them on hand..

That's the plan Mick thanks bud.

dude u going to get the new parts anoed ???? i love the Orange its a killer. Ohh and if you decide you don't want your TVPs, Motor plate and motor mount i call DIBSSSSSSSSSSS =)

I may get the new stuff anoed but probably not until next winter. Cool bro, any part let over I 'll let you know.

Ill be reading ...

BTW that diff mod I still don't have the shim sizes for the insides for. but you need 16X2 so 32 shims in this size. I had them in blown up stuff over time. Fred ordered his. I tried to get the info off him but he didn't know it off the top of his head... I never knew just had them on hand..

No drama bro, if the BP spider & bevel gear are the same size as the old flux internals, I think I might get away with just shimming the (4)bevel gears as the top spider gear is only about 1 & a bit mil below the top of the cup. Thanks Justin.

:peace: Brad

No drama bro, if the BP spider & bevel gear are the same size as the old flux internals, I think I might get away with just shimming the (4)bevel gears as the top spider gear is only about 1 & a bit mil below the top of the cup. Thanks Justin.

:peace: Brad

That is what you do. Shim the spiders in to get the "suns" to the right height. Using hpi shims that where in the X cups already ( x 4) it took 16. Four to each spider and the internals were perfect for me.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/gallery/data/635/DSC_0133.jpg Note the shim packs on both spiders 4 a side.. shimming the diff in the bulks was cake as always and the BP kits come with all the shims you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
shim is 4x10x0.15 MM found it ! lol so you need 4x10x0.6mm to use 1. I'd go for at least 2 to help with side loads. Again I used 4 of the .15's caz I had them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think I used the 4x10x0.15mm to shim the diffs originally but I only got 10 not 32 lol. I'll use the Ofna 4x10x0.2 as the 0.15's are no longer on A-main or Tower. Thanks for the tip about side loads.

Posties been

Thanks gta

Got more parts today
TCS order
DSCF1473.jpg

e-bay
DSCF1470.jpg

The trouble is I ordered 2 set of Jammin' big bores (on the right) and they've sent me a set of Kyosho (on the left) by mistake. :stressed:
Hoping to hear from the seller soon. :Xfingers:

On the plus side the GCM batt box mounts & heat sink motor mount are sweet.
DSCF1474.jpg

DSCF1476.jpg

Thanks guys.
Brad

It's been a while I know, but anyway.
Got some more parts parts last week just the CF parts left to order. Got some 5/16" brass washers and shimmed the wheel hex, no in/out movement on the axles.
DSCF1489.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

Got the shocks built but I've run into a little snag, no matter what I did I couldn't get the shock end on any further on one of the shock, so one is 0.29mm longer then the others. I'm hoping it won't effect the handle to much.
What do you guys think?
DSCF1501.jpg

Swap out the gears in the tranny with lightweight gears and a HD drive gear. The trans is also shimmed, I used Robitronic's 6x10x0.2mm shims #R27004 if anyone's interested. I forgot to take a pic when it was apart.
DSCF1491.jpg

Also got the BP diffs built and fitted just need to fill them with 50k fluid. I followed Bank & Freddy's lead, and used Nova hellfire cups to swap the crappy 10x16x5mm bearing for a stronger 8x16x5mm. forgot to take pix again.
DSCF1496.jpg

I'm trying out some Kyosho P6 o-rings #ORG06 which feel nice and rubbery not hard like HPI's. I'll give my opinion on them when I next rebuild them.
DSCF1500-crop.jpg

In the Nova hellfire cups the (small)spider gears need to shimmed 0.6mm I used, Robitronics 4x10x0.15mm #R27001 which I had in the original cups plus some Ofna 4x10x0.2mm #30776. One outdrive was a little loose so I used a 6x10x0.2mm shim behind the 6x19x0.2mm outdrive shims, as could not find shims that size shim anywhere.

I order these 6 spoke Ofna wheels thinking they were maxx/mt size turns out there lpr's with the old style lip instead of the groove for mounting the tyre.
DSCF1507.jpg

I like em and they are exactly the same dia' as the stock revo wheels. Traxxas still uses the lip on there wheels so I'm getting a set of Traxxas' Response Pro tyres, should be pretty sweet.

OK guys thanks for reading, I post more updates when they happen.

Stay brutal, Brad:rock:

Thanks 88

Freddy, did a quick test on the stock flux shd axles, I could get the pin thru but only got half a turn on the thread before it jammed tight. You'd need to remove some or all of the lip (arrow) to get them to work.
ofn27108-1.jpg

Update

I've ordered my cf parts from PRC. :buttshaker:
205 XL Flux tvp's
202 ext motor plate
138 lcg shock towers
154 lower b/head plates
213 wing mount for lcg towers

Couldn't find anywhere that had 2 sets of hellfire body mounts for the lcg towers, I don't want to pay for extra shipping so I'm gonna try firestorm mounts instead :Xfingers:, a $ each on :ebay: also Ofna tyres for the 6 spoke wheels, set of 4 for $22 thank you very much.
Got a sheet of kydex to make my own skid plates, just needed a couple of braces to mount to, got nitro motor plate with braces $6 on :ebay:.
I'm starting to like the bay.

I'll post again when the parts arrive.

Brad

My :ebay: order arrived today.
Fitted a tyre just to see how they look.
Picture004.jpg

braces and kydex
Picture003.jpg

and here are the firestorm body mounts, I'll only use the rear's. Can anyone who has hellfire mounts let me know if they are the same please.
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Just the the PRC parts to come, and the fun will begin.
:beer:
Brad

awesome build! Love the quality parts going into this build!

I'm so tempted to make a carbon basher but its so much money!!!! i will do it at some point!

oh yeah, now the be-arch gets it :machinegunner: piccogirl:lmao3:
plug and play, unplug and go.

Thanks again Josh. Tell me about it mate, I was debating whether to go cf or for so long that now the weathers getting warmer and all I've got is mess on the table. But it will be sweet once it's goin' :rock:

I got the wheels and tyres mounted and balanced.
DSCF1578.jpg

also test fitted the steering. I'm gonna have to drill some holes and turn the servo this way to line it up properly with the servo saver.
Picture038.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

the servo arm hit the turnbuckle brace. anyone know if that will limit the steering?
DSCF1572.jpg

Got the front axles and hex fitted. 5 washers was to thick on the front so I used 4 and 8x10x0.3mm diff shims, so now the washer aren't in direct contact with the bearing, which is probably a good idea so I gonna do it on the rears too.
Picture060.jpg

I don't know whats going on the my parts from PRC, supposedly they left Chicago on the 9th and they still haven't arrived on the west coast yet.
what are the posties on strike over there or something.:leftright::nutshot::axed:

also test fitted the steering. I'm gonna have to drill some holes and turn the servo this way to line it up properly with the servo saver.
will it fit if you turn the ball around to the inside of your servo arm? looks like it would be a straight shot if it fits that way.

the servo arm hit the turnbuckle brace. anyone know if that will limit the steering?

i think once you mount everything you wont get that much travel anyway. prolly just hitting caz your getting extra travel without all of the parts mounted up.

sounds like you didn't have to touch your servo saver, thanks mate.

I could switching the ball around, but I'd have to removed a few millimetres from the servo mount.
DSCF1581.jpg

I reversed the original servo saver so I wouldn't have to do that, late time. I had to chop the poop out of it to work. I don't want to that this time.

this is the through on left side
DSCF1584.jpg

the right would be down to this without modifying
DSCF1583.jpg

I'll just wait until the cf parts to get here, so I can start putting it together.
I might see if there's enough room to mount it to the tvp, and lcg a little.

i got really paranoid that my steering wasnt even on both sides... but wait till you mount everything up and see how much throw you actually need as it may be turning more than necesasry...

I hacked up a whole load of things like my braces etc and realised i didnt actually need all that extra throw to increase steering as it was already at its max!

Gd luck!

WHERE ARE THE DAMN CF PARTS? haha only messing... but it has taken a while no?

They arrived.................... and so did I. :lmao3:

DSCF1585.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

The new PRC213 lcg tower wing mount.
DSCF1590.jpg

it mounts just like the PRC184
DSCF1596.jpg

Just one problem it wont take the HPI wing mount without drilling lower holes.
DSCF1597.jpg

Not the best pic but you see what I mean. Also had to swap the spacers on the wing to the outside to make it narrower.

These cf xl tvp's are lighter than I thought they'd be, and a lot lighter than the std length TCS tvp's.

test fitted a few different things.
DSCF1600.jpg

the hole body the body mounts are a little off, the firestorm must be smaller then the hellfire mounts. do the hellfire mounts used 3 or 4mm screws to attach?
DSCF1610.jpg

DSCF1613.jpg

the rhs tvp need work to get all the screw holes to line-up with each other, had to make the tranny slot deeper and take some off the front of it to get the tvp to move forward.
DSCF1604.jpg

DSCF1605.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

just the front motor plate screw hole needed work of the lhs tvp. both tvp's front and rear will need a slight shave to fit the bulkheads.
DSCF1619.jpg

got the towers sorted, and started fitting the rear shocks.
DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1630.jpg

I going to set the ride height so the arms are level. will this be enough droop?
DSCF1633.jpg

it's about 18mm.

I'll post again on the sunday, it's my cousins 18th tomorrow and I plan on getting well and truely poop faced. :40gulp: more bourbon :40gulp:

Latest posts

Members online

Back