Project: Bulletproof Basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arisking

Well I started out with a Savage X kit I got this year in June. It was good and all but I knew I would fall into the money pit called the Savage. So I slowly started upgrading her, and well here is my project story.

First major thing I got for my Savage was an STS 28, I have heard good and bad things about this motor but I got it and I wanted to see the hidden power in this beast:

PB010125.jpg

The next thing I got was Aluminum Diff Cups, Diff Cases and Bulkheads, and CVDs, HD Wheel Dogbones, HD Drive Cups all round:

PB020127.jpg

PB020129.jpg

Then I encountered a problem which was that the Savage X shock towers didn't work which I knew but I had to modify them:

.jpg

Then you get this:

1.jpg

PB040147.jpg

Then the next thing I got which means alot to me where Twisted Toys LCG Stock Length TVPs:

PB090001.jpg

PB090002.jpg

Then I bought some goodies for a Mid-Tank Mod, I already had some stuuf for this before I just needed a few more things:

PB110003.jpg

Then I put it all together and this is what it looked like after:

Joshs001.jpg

Joshs002.jpg

Joshs003.jpg

Joshs004.jpg

Wow I have spent alot of money already but there is still one more important thing I need, clutch shoes. So I ordered me some Nova Adjustable Clutch Shoes:

PB210061.jpg

Now my Savage was complete and I could drive it. Presently and about 7 tanks or so later she looks like this, and let me tell you this motor has alot of friggin' power:

Joshs001-1.jpg

Joshs002-1.jpg

If you have any questions of what I did just drop me a PM or message me here and I will get back to you ASAP. Tell me what you guys think also. Thanks for looking.

-Josh-

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I seriously think oh that's shiny I might as well buy it. But everything I bought is to make it tough enough for the motor.

-Josh-

similar to my current project...but I opted for alloy tranny case, CVD's, full alloy suspension, a .46 Hot Bodies motor, and Fast Lane extended LCG tvp's...

just need some upgraded shocks, and the little nickel and dime things still to fully assemble it...

nice job though...sweet rig...

Thanks man. You're getting the Truckzilla Conversion?

-Josh-

no, not the full conversion (although I pretty much have all the parts) I may put the wheels on it, just so it looks proportional, but mainly just wanted the biggest engine I could get my hands on...LOL things gonna weigh a bit more when finished, so need the torque to get it moving...keep your eyes on the forums, as I may actually post some "in process" pics in the next week or so...

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I seriously think oh that's shiny I might as well buy it. But everything I bought is to make it tough enough for the motor.

-Josh-
Tell u the truth the stock savage would hold up to that sts .28 I have the surefire .32 in mine its has a few upgrades into tho DO U have a 3 speed yet !!!!!! also tell us how much money u have in it lets make a gess people I say 800.00 with out the price of the truck

Nevertheless AWESOME TRUCK

Thanks again for the comments guys. I have about 600 Canadian into the truck to get to this point of basherness. runoverbysavage I am not going to comment to that silly comment you made, an STS will woop a S-25 any day. I don't have a 3-Speed yet but I plan on it soon. k0m0d067 I think you shouldn't get the .46 but you will need torque like you said. If I were you I'd go with a good .28-.32 instead of the .46.

-Josh-

by the way...what's the deal with the "heat sink cozy"? LOL I'm quessing it's to prevent scratches? 'cuz I don't imagine the motor's going to need help heating up...

The motor is needing help to warm up as it is an actual winter here in Canada not like in some parts of the U.S. Yeah it hasn't gone over 250 yet.

-Josh-

Last edited by a moderator:
the .46 is already in my hot little (not) hands...as far as runoverbysavage's comment, he meant the stock savage truck could handle the .28...not that the .25 was comparable to the sts .28...

what wouldn't you put the .46 in it? just curious...

The .46 is just a torque monster and it has no RPM's so that means way less top speed. Well sorry runoverbysavage I thought you meant the S-25 was just as fast as the STS .28. I don't think a stock drivetrain will hold up though.

-Josh-

yeah, but with that kind of torque, the lack of RPM's can be overcome by installing the tallest gear ratio I can find...

this behemoth isn't meant to be a speed demon (something that heavy, traveling extremely fast could prove disastrous...LOL) my other truck is being geared towards speed...

now that looks sick, I Like the look better then the chains, but there goes your tires.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I have about 600 Canadian into the truck to get to this point of basherness. runoverbysavage I am not going to comment to that silly comment you made, an STS will woop a S-25 any day. I don't have a 3-Speed yet but I plan on it soon. k0m0d067 I think you shouldn't get the .46 but you will need torque like you said. If I were you I'd go with a good .28-.32 instead of the .46.

-Josh-
wohhhhhh hey now I think u miss understood me I said... I know the sts will out run the .25 no problem.. I said the savage in the stock form could hold up to the sts without all thoes mods.... I have a .32 in mine and I don't have all that alum in mine thats
what I said thats all .. ok bud :spew:

man...i wouldn't wanna be anywhere near when those screws come flying out at high speed...LOL when the centrifigal force turns your tires into pizza cutters, those things could become small threaded bullets :D

Yeah thanks again for the comments guys. Yeah only like 3 screws have come out so far and the tires hum down the road. They're stockers so I don't care about if I wreck them. runoverbysavage I understood what you said in a later post. But I still don't think the stock drivetrain would hold up though. And I put it in there to be bulletproof.

-Josh-

what diff cups are those?

If they are gpm or 3racing they have a very good chance of breaking or wearing right down and causing a bit of wobble on the internal diff gears. my mate has them and there is a very thin wall which holds the gear shaft in place. bad design he reckons.

so whats next for this project?

The diff cups are Integy. The next thing I want to get is a 3-Speed, some Maximizer 17mm 1/2 offset 12 Spoke Beadlocks, and Trinity 3 Stage Foams, wrapped in Pro-Line Mashers.

-Josh-

Very nice rig man I like... Hey I'm running pretty much the same set up, expt for the mid tank and my TT's are .5 ext. can ya get some pic's on your mid tank set up on TT Tvp's. and how you mounted the steering.
Thanks Mondragon

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back