PRC- HPI Savage Wing Mount Plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Item: PRC145 - HPI Savage Wing Mount
Price: $11.50 + $6.50 for Hot Bodies C8152
Manufacturer: Platinum RC Products
Written By: Parker Wren

First off I received the package and all I could think was....WOW. The items were packaged up nicely and the quality of the products was TOP NOTCH. While it didn't have any instructions I figured it out after a few minutes of using my head and got to work on it. To start off I assembled the wing mount stay that the actual wing mounts to, part number C8152 made by Hot Bodies. Once I got the wing mount stay assembled I then attacked the wing to the stay. For the wing I already had a HPI Hellfire wing that was already drilled but the holes lined up exactly with each other so I didn't have any problems. Now the fun part began.....

I am running the stock X towers and ran into some problems upon mounting it up. First problem I noticed was the holes didn't line up exactly, but I got it fixed, took some thinking but it did get figured out. I had to put the shock bolts in holes 2 and 3 instead of both sides being even so I had to make an adjustment on the wing stay to accommodate for the difference. Once I got that part straightened out I went to bolt them up....well ran into another problem, shock bolts are too short if you are using 8 shocks. So with that I dug that handy dremel out and started shaving down the shock towers where the bolts go through to make some room so they would be long enough to get the nut on. About an hour later of using the dremel I was DONE! An hour seemed long but I didn't have the right bits for grinding away at plastic so it did take a little bit longer than I planned but it did get done. The only downside I can see is that I can't run a body with it right now with the standard chassis and without cutting my body to make room for the wing. I will say that the CF wing plate will take a serious bashing and some BAD landings without any damage.

While bashing in the front yard for run number one I was trying to break it just to see if I could. I was landing on the wing, landed upside down, did wheelies on it and all was still in MINT condition after 3 tanks. Today I went bashing again but much more at a local church with a friend that wants to get a Savage so I decided to let him see what it could do. Happened to have a HUGE, OPEN parking lot to run around on and a huge ditch that made a NICE ramp to catch some good 10-15ft air on but then had to land on the parking lot. During that bash I did manage to land upside down on accident and while I was thinking that it broke the wing mount or something of such a hard hit from about 15ft in the air and landing completely upside down, nothing was wrong. Although about 5 jumps later the spur gear did strip and when I was done I found out I popped the rear shock cap off by the wing mount, thinking it doesn't give it room to move around so it just popped off. Overall I am really impressed with the purchase and I think if I didn't have the wing on with the mount I might not would have a motor right now from how it landed.

Price: 10/10 Cheap and well worth the money for CF!
Durability: 10/10 Held up VERY WELL for what it took and still looks new
Installation: 7/10 Installation was getting aggrivating with the towers but its cool.
Overall: 9/10 Only problem was the installation, other than that all is good!!!

100_2401.jpg

100_2400.jpg

100_2402.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review on my parts bud and sorry for the problems on the install. The holes are designed to fit with my shock towers but may take a look into this to see how I can modify the holes to fit to the stock shock towers better for future runs. If I'm correct it will work perfectly with the 21/25 shock towers. Anyway great review and thanks.

great review parker!!!!:resp: ya platinum rc makes amazing stuff, i checked out the website and was impressed and from what i see there adding new products all the time so my :resp: also goes out to larsenracing!!! reps sent for the great review!!!!

I was gonna rep you for such a cool review, but, "You must spread the reputation around before adding reputation to this user". LoL. Good review though! :)

Thanks for the comments guys! Again sorry I don't have pics but I will disassemble it tomorrow and get some pics of just the plate and so forth. Fitment issue wasn't a huge deal to me since I did have the dremel, just had to use the brain and figure out how to work around it, after all isn't that part of the hobby?

Yes sorry, the truck has been in rebuild stage and I forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me guys!!!! I am going to be ordering a new battery for my camera today also since I can't even get 2 pictures taken without it shutting off on me.

Sorry guys I am just waiting for my new battery camera, I PROMISE WHEN IT COMES IN I WILL GET PICS!!!!

yes...yes......don't tease!!

Well guys I finished the wing mount off today. One bad landing on the rear and it snapped.

Back to the drawing board...

Latest posts

Members online

Back