Power cuts out when u roll into full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimshamis

Hey guys I'm getting super frustrated with this thing an I need some help. I have a xl flux running MM esc with the torq 2200kv motor, with 2 3s turnigy 45c50c burst lipos. I originally thought my LVC was to high at 3.4 so I put it at 3.2 per cell.
Here is the problem on fully charged lipos I can roll all the way up to full throttle no problem after about 10 min if I try rolling up to full throttle it cuts out, at this point I can come to a complete stop slam full throttle and make it backflip but if I roll on the throttle all the way up to full throttle it cuts out?
Should I turn punch control on?
Now I have a buggy with the same setup but with a MMM 2200kv and not a torq motor an I pit these exact packs in there and have no problems this is why I am stumped is the castle motor more efficient than the torq or something?

Please help me out on this one guys I'm so frickin frustrated right now
Shane

by "cuts out" do you mean the esc shuts off like when the voltage is to low? or do you mean it just stops producing power?

sounds like it may be overheating the esc and putting it into a protect mode.

The esc doesn't shut off when it cuts out it just stops putting power to the ground and if I let of and get back on the throttle it works until I hit to the full throttle point, i do notice that the fan runs more than my buggy setup does, is there a way to tell if it is going into protect mode? My lipos are always warm not hot though. And if it is over heating how do I correct this I went with stock gearing everybody has told me they've never had any issues with stock gearing, my mesh is perfect also.

I had this happen to me a while back. It could numerous things but in my cae the ESC board was dirty. I wasn't worried of voiding my warranty by removiing the sticker and opening it up. I looked at the ECS board and it was dirty! So I cleaned it up with contact spray. It worked like new. If the ESC cleaning did not work, I would have gone to the motor and cleaned the contacts inside and probably changed the bearings (for maintenance) as a next step.

Crap, I hate it when I forget to proof read before posting.

Darn edit button, where you at????? :thinking::leftright:

The esc is brand new I guess it doesn't hurt to try and clean it would the 20t pinion have anything to do with it overheating if that is the case

Just my opinion man but it sounds like too me that u need to re calibrate your transmitter and receiver..sounds like your end points might be messed up..also with it getting warm what is your brake power on?if its too much brake it will warm your esc alot too..

thats cool just something to try and its easy.I run my brake at 35 i think maybe even 30...Noticed mine was getting warm and running the fan alot of 40%.let us know when u figure it out,good luck...

Hey rkgriffy are u running 6s if so what packs are you using and what gearing are u running

I'm running flight max 6"s...35c 5000 mah..and i have all stock gearing..haven't had my truck to long i have about 3 good sessions on it,but one was like a half hour and i only heard the fan on once..

please post the rest of your settings:

timing
drag brake, etc.

also, double check your wires to the motor and make sure they are making good contact. they can and will vibrate loose at times. especially when the motor is making higher rpm.

I think my brake setting was to high I lowered it to 30% and they had an update for the esc I did that and all seems to b working I wa thinking maybe the esc was over heating from the 50% brake I had set at the time is there a way to tell if the esc was over heating?

OK, I have a couple questions:

1. Which version of the ESC are you using, the Castle Mamba Monster, or the HPI Blur?

2. Are you using the Castle version of the Link, or the HPI version?

My software is the Castle version, but my ESC is the HPI version, and apparently there are some differences in the V3 ESC that is sent to HPI. I had some issues last year, and called Castle directly, and it turned out that the firmware I was using wasn't approved for the HPI version of the ESC. They had me back up to an earlier firmware version, and it solved the issue. I suggest you contact them and check that out.

I am using the castle version I think my problem might be solved I'm gonna do some more bashing tomorrow and see what happen thanks for all this input guys everyone has been a big help

Well guys it's still doing it once my fan on the esc kicked on it neve went off my motor temps about 175 and my lipos where pretty warm not hot though I am gonna try 2 2s packs and see if it does the same thing

Well guys it's still doing it once my fan on the esc kicked on it neve went off my motor temps about 175 and my lipos where pretty warm not hot though I am gonna try 2 2s packs and see if it does the same thing

what are the specs on your pack and also, what are your other settings.

your lipos should never get hot (or even warm for that matter). sounds like that motor/esc could be straining for lack of power or there is some other problem sending current back through to your packs (hard esc braking on an underpowered LiPo can cause this).

also, i think your running stock gearing but for the heck of it, tell us your gearing again.

Hey frddy I'm goin nuts here my specs on my 2 3s packs are 35c-45c 5000mah and today I was running 2 2s packs in series and those packs are 40c-50c 5000mah and those I was having no problems with, now I put my brand new packs in and those are 2 3s 45c-90c 5000mah and I just ran those and still doing the same thing the motor was almost 200 degrees and my packs were pretty warm. I am running stock gearing with shimmed flux tranny and shimmed BP diffs. Here are my settings on the speed controller.
fa5aace1.jpg

2d25f839.jpg

shame, just to clarify, you DID have the problem with those turnigy's and DID NOT have the same problem when you ran the other 2 x 2s packs?

also, when you ran the 2 x 2s packs, what manufacturer are those packs and did they get warm?

you can see where this is heading right?

also, i suggest the following:

10% reverse (if you even ever use it)
0 % punch control
20% (or so) brake (i think i have 10%)
and set a hard LVC, get that auto LiPo off there. you could be playing with fire. literally.

Last edited by a moderator:
my first 3x3s are turnigy 35-45c 5000mah, and these where what i was using in the first post when the problem started and then i did the turnigy 2x2s and those were 40-50c and those seemed fine never lost power didnt over heat then i got those turnigy nano tech packs and those are 45-90c 5000mah and there was a pretty large increase in power from my other packs. now i ran my all my 3x3s packs in my buggy setup and never had such a problem.

my first 3x3s are turnigy 35-45c 5000mah, and these where what i was using in the first post when the problem started and then i did the turnigy 2x2s and those were 40-50c and those seemed fine never lost power didnt over heat then i got those turnigy nano tech packs and those are 45-90c 5000mah and there was a pretty large increase in power from my other packs. now i ran my all my 3x3s packs in my buggy setup and never had such a problem.

the nano packs got just as hot as my other packs did the 3x3s

oh yeh and by a hard LVC what would u suggest like 3.4 or 3.5 per cell

alright.

this is what i come up with. First, you should call Castle (not HPI) customer service during regular business hours and explain the situation.

you either have a problem with the ESC or your packs.

** IMO **

It sounds like the packs you are running when you have the issue are junk. Sounds like the motor and ESC are not getting enough power to do the work and the system is straining.

i would compare it to trying to power a 20A air compressor through a 15A circuit except the electrical circuit would have a circuit breaker that would trip so that you don't cause damage to the compressor motor by underpowering it.

if i was ever considering trying out a budget LiPo, this thread has just made me know i will never buy one & stay loyal to hyperion.

Ok frddy I'm gonna roll with your opinion and pick up some hyperions which do u suggest and where's the best place with the best price that you have found

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back