Polishing aluminum 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy1822

Savage Owner
I've seen a few people trying this lately and answered a few questions so I figured a how to was in order.

First thing is to strip the anno. This was hpi orange. You can use Easy off oven cleaner or crystalized drano. Drano works best.
jjuhyu025.jpg

jjuhyu026.jpg

After stripping you need to wet sand the part smooth. Start with 600gt. Thats usually enough, but you can hit it again with 1000 grit for good measure. This is the most important step. Some parts have machined lines in them from being cut. YOU MUST SAND THESE OUT. Any scratches, lines, pits, etc will show up when polished.
jjuhyu027.jpg

After sanding smooth, you can start polishing. All supplies are availible at Home Depot. The products are Discus brand. You want the wheel with the most seams and aluminum rouge. Looks like a big white crayon. You will also need a 4" grinder or a drill with a grinder adapter (thats what I like best).
jjuhyu028.jpg

jjuhyu029.jpg
jjuhyu030.jpg

Next, peel off some paper on the rouge and melt it into the wheel turning it black. Keep adding as you polish as the wheel gets lighter.
jjuhyu031.jpg

Now polish
jjuhyu032.jpg

Keep buffing. It will get better and better the more you buff. Get all the black stuff off.

jjuhyu033.jpg

jjuhyu034.jpg

You can use your dremmel for small spots. Keep in mind that the rouge that comes with the dremmel is jewlers rouge for soft metals. Brass etc. It will take a long time and some effort on alu. Use the correct rouge (big white crayon). I like to use Mothers or Blue Magic after polishing to seal it up. Keep in mind that these parts will need an occasional buffing with Mothers to keep their shine. Hope this helps some of you guys.

Bank uses another method. He sands everything down with 1000gt and polishes with Mothers only. It works too. The more prep work you de the better it will look. I use the buffer because I'm lazy. I let the drill do my rubbing. I also already had these supplies from doing 1:1 wheels. The 1000gt mothers method takes a lot of elbow grease imo , but does look great.

Bank post your Buku pic.

:lmao: thanks for the intro grumpy. Yep my way is all hand work but I just like its results on SMALL<----- parts.

I did this one so nice because it was not meant for me. 1000 and moms aluminum polish. I must admit I use the 1000 on a sander or dremil where I can but no flats on this puppy. It took me around a half hour start to finish. The tune plug is untouched and the wire loop that holds it scratched the poop out out it.
IMG_0807-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this stuff for my bike called simichrome polish works great thats all you need and a buffer wheel on your dremel

Members online

No members online now.
Back