Places that should be lubricated on Savage X SS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeingeyegod

On a vacation
Hey all, was wondering how often to regrease, and how much grease you all use in various places. Obviously the output shafts and dog bones/axle cups get grease. How often though, and how much? I just ordered some "RC blood" grease that sounded like it should be good for that. Also does anyone put grease on the pinion and spur or is that a bad idea? Anything in the center gear box? or between the diff case and other gears in the front and rear? I have not opened my diffs but I guess I am supposed to inspect them after the 10th or 15th run. Wonder if I'll have to put more grease in if I take them apart to check for issues.

I don't put grease on anything that isn't sealed. It just traps dirt and becomes an abrasive. I used a light shot of silicone spray in my last tranny rebuild more for the bearings than anything else. I have never had to open my diffs. They are sealed and if working I leave them alone. I have replaced the rear diff once.

That's pretty much what I thought about the open gears, just always seems "wrong" in my head to have gears with no lube on them. Good to hear about the diffs. The manual maintenance schedule is probably too aggressive if you aren't beating the hell out of the truck. "maintain air filter every 5 runs". I brushed some dust off of it I guess.

Maintenance required is tremendously variable depending on where you run. There is no sand and little dust here so I can get by with a lot other people couldn't. I also don't run in wet conditions much. Rust can happen overnight. I had an 8ight T go into a ditch and by the time I cleaned it up 2 days later several bearings had seized and the CB had rusted and had to be sanded.

Some people enjoy 'working" on their trucks. I tend to run them until they fail and replace with new parts from a chop shop.

Last edited:
I use wax based lube on all moving joints and axle cups. Can usually pick it up at a bicycle shop. Just avoid getting it on your brakes, slipper or CB. I use it on my steel spur too and inside the trans. Only place I put actual grease is on the diff ring/pinion. Everything else gets wax chain lube. It doesn't attract dirt like oil based stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightn...6&sr=8-2&keywords=white+lightening+chain+lube

Members online

No members online now.
Back