piston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4

how do i get the piston out of the engine. ive taken the sleave out but the piston wont come off the pin on the crankshaft. any help?

thanks 4x4

turn the crankshaft and get some needle nose pliers and carefully pull it off the pin. Might have to wiggle it some lol

should i put tape arround the top so the pliers don't scrach the conrod?
thanks for the help
4x4

turn the crankshaft and get some needle nose pliers and carefully pull it off the pin. Might have to wiggle it some lol

NO no, use a tiewrap. Zip a tiewrap on the conrod and pull gently on the tiewrap until the con rod slips off the crank pin.

Needle nose pliars! geez:stickspank:

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers i will have a go thanks again!
4x4

thanks for all the help ive managed to get it off and out now
thanks again 4x4

NO no, use a tiewrap. Zip a tiewrap on the conrod and pull gently on the tiewrap until the con rod slips off the crank pin.

Needle nose pliars! geez:stickspank:

I didn't say strach the hell out of it, did I, its a connecting rod,

Thats a good Idea, tho... I just use pliers, and pull it off no big deal

:duh:

i am with sj i have used pliers to before if you are carefull you wont damage it ! the hard part for me was getting the sleeve out.

I didn't say strach the hell out of it, did I, its a connecting rod,

Thats a good Idea, tho... I just use pliers, and pull it off no big deal

:duh:

I wasn't try'n to say your way is wrong, I used to do it that way myself. Then once I noticed that even after I was very carefull the little groves at the tip of the needle nose pliar had small metal shavings in them. I looked closely at the edges of my conrod and saw little cuts, no biggy right. Two days later I fry the rear bearing and guess what I find in it, yup little aluminium shavings from the tip of the pliars.

No matter how carefull you are you will in most cases try a little too hard to remove the conrod and make shavings with pliars. I found the tiewrap to be a safer and more secure way of removing the conrod. You can also use a couple of tiewraps stood on end to press out the sleave with the piston. It only lifts the sleave up a little bit but in most cases it is all the room you need to get a hold on it and pull it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get it off (just curious)

i first had a go with plires with tape rapper around the nose but they just slipper off the conrod so i had a go with the ziptie and it came right out.
to get the sleave out i use the trick with the ziptie throught the exhaust port.
thanks again for the help. :motorcycle:
4x4

I wasn't try'n to say your way is wrong, I used to do it that way myself. Then once I noticed that even after I was very carefull the little groves at the tip of the needle nose pliar had small metal shavings in them. I looked closely at the edges of my conrod and saw little cuts, no biggy right. Two days later I fry the rear bearing and guess what I find in it, yup little aluminium shavings from the tip of the pliars.

No matter how carefull you are you will in most cases try a little too hard to remove the conrod and make shavings with pliars. I found the tiewrap to be a safer and more secure way of removing the conrod. You can also use a couple of tiewraps stood on end to press out the sleave with the piston. It only lifts the sleave up a little bit but in most cases it is all the room you need to get a hold on it and pull it out.

were all good bud :Xfingers:

I'm stuck again!! i have now cleaned the engine changed the bearings and put the piston and crankshaft back in but i saw some metal shavings even though we have only been turning the crankshaft. but the thing is that after ive heated the engine a few times i seem not to be able to get the piston out again. last time it was pritty easy. do you know what has happened? and how i could fix this?
thanks 4x4

Members online

Back