Piston sticking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2506

Hi all ok so looking at fitting a pull start to my savage x and after taking the rotor start of I was looking at the position going up and down and noticed when it hits the top it sticks is this normal??

Yes, when the piston reaches TDC (top dead center) it should be tight. That is the engine's pinch and is a measure of good health for the engine. This is why some will heat up the engine before starting it the first time, to loosen the piston enough for it to start easier.

Won’t let me attach a video

The best way to do it is to put your video on a host site, like youtube and then link it in your post.

Yes, when the piston reaches TDC (top dead center) it should be tight. That is the engine's pinch and is a measure of good health for the engine. This is why some will heat up the engine before starting it the first time, to loosen the piston enough for it to start easier.

The best way to do it is to put your video on a host site, like youtube and then link it in your post.
Oh ok then good news it’s a good sign of a healthy engine. It’s not been fired up for about 4 years so trying to get it going. Glow plug is glowing bright. Roto start was slipping so took it apart cleaned it all and all seems ok at the moment. Just need to try and fire it up.

Latest posts

Members online

Back