Picco .28 Help Please!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divey1130

Hey guys, here is my situation. I have a picco .28 w/turbo head modded by ab mods. It has about 6-7 tanks on it and still needs to be finished breaking it in. So i finally git it mounted and all ready to go today. First off I have googled day in and day out on what the factory needle settings are. I found 3-3.5 turns out for the HSN or flush with the collar. I found 10.5-11.5 for the LSN or 8 turns out. From Ofna's website they say for the picco .28 motor it should be 3-3.5 or flush with the collar for the HSN and 8 turns out on the LSN. Well I tried all the different ways and my problem is when I take the glow starter off it dies and also when I try to give it any and I mean any gas it dies. I pulled the glow plug (Odonells 99T turbo plug) and it is just fine but I replaced it anyway. No luck after almost a quart of fuel today. I am really frustrated with this. Usually I don't have this much of a problem. I just bought a new pull start and the pinch is super tight. It pulls nice and all but it won't run. Idleing with the glow starter in is not a problem. I tried leaning each needle a butt fuzz each time while trying to start it. I did all the standard stuff to do when trying to start a motor. All different kinds of variations with adjusting both needle settings and what not. My question is, is what is the true factory needle settings for a turbo head picco and what in gods name am I doing wrong. The best situation that worked for me was 8 turns out on the LSN and flush with the HSN. I pretty much wasted a quart of byrons 30% gen II and it's not cheap stuff. Can everyone chime in on this and please tell me what to do. i have wanted to use this motor so bad and I finally got time to install it and now this. I just bought a T-Maxx used with a mach 426 big block and it came with the tuned all jacked up and I got that started in 20 minutes pulling wheelies on demand. I am still new to this but after 3 nitro's I am atleast capable of starting a motor I think. Anyways 2 heads are better than 1 and 4 eyes are better than 2. Please help me! Thanks Terry

I think i got this guys answers for him as he called and i gave him a call right back. Its a RB Mods engine not one of my AB Mods Picco .28s... But by what he described it sounds like its just too rich on the LSN. He should be good to go now i hope.... Good luck with the engine Divey!

lots of respect to ya for helping out even tho its not one of your own!

Sorry for the confusion, it's hard to read the engraving and the "R" looks like an "A". Anyways he did call me right back and suggested leaning the LSN in some. I will give that a try in the morning. It makes sense now. It's to rich so when the ignitor comes off the fuel puts the plug out. Thanks for the help. Terry

Well got this running to day and all I can say is WOW!!!!! This thing is a beast with massive low end. Wheelies on demand is pure awesome. When I had the 5.9 in it, the front wheels would never leave the ground. I just put 1 tank through it still finishing the break in process. Temps were hovering around 175-190. I had to lean the LSN almost 3 full turns from factory settings. I guess you really can never go off of factory settings. It's more of a base point depending on your elevation, temperature, etc.. I don't know why I just didn't buy one a long time ago instead of trying to get the 5.9 going. For you guys that run picco's all I can say is I've been missing out for a long time. Now this one is modded so I wonder what my other stock picco would do. So my setup is a RB Mod Picco .28, Dynamite HC 086 pipe, Mugen 1.0mm springs, Mugen Nut, Dynamite Max Life Alum shoes, and a pull start running at 14/52 gearing. I can only run a 52 spur gear cause I bought the wrong ones that are used on the different slipper setup. I am going to use some washers and try to make it work. I think it would still work. Anyways just wanted to share this with everyone and tomorrow I will get a quick running vid. Oh, how many more tanks should I out through it before I can really open her up. Keep in mind I use the Ofna 250cc tank. Thanks for all your help especially AB Mods. Terry

Sounds sweet. With a powerhouse mill like that you should be able to run much taller gearing and still get wheelies, but have a screaming top end also. I run the stock 16/52 in my xl with the high speed third in the tranny and I'm pretty happy with it. But, if I had WAY more bottom end power it would not need to be that low. I'd gear it up to do like 55-60 mph and still have good bottom end power.

Glad to hear it's up and running the way you want it to, now go and run the hell out of it..

I think i got this guys answers for him as he called and i gave him a call right back. Its a RB Mods engine not one of my AB Mods Picco .28s... But by what he described it sounds like its just too rich on the LSN. He should be good to go now i hope.... Good luck with the engine Divey!

+1 to you.. that's why this forum is so awesome:sniper:

Ya, Adam was very helpful and called back right away. Even tho it was not his stuff he still took the time out to help. My fault there. And I was thinking of running taller gears but to be honest I'm not looking for speed. It's fast as it is in 3rd. I love the sound when it goes from 1st to 2nd then bam, 3rd is like nos. It just hauls butt from there. I think I may have to adjust 3rd because it shifts almost right after second unless that is normal. I wish I could hear some sound clips of the shifting through all the gears for an xl tranny. Thanks guys. Terry

Can someone give me some links for spur gears for the XL. I bought the wrong ones last time and don't want to do it again. Thanks Terry

I think I would want some 47's and 49's. I'm not exactly sure but I think these are them. Terry

I'm always glad to help! Very good to hear you got it running and your enjoying it!

I'm going to stick with plastic gears as it is cheaper to replace. 5 trucks to maintain keeps my wallet pretty lite. I only have the stock slipper from the xl tranny. I bought 2 49 plastic gears but I guess they are for the other savage. I really don't know why they changed but oh well. So plastic gears with the stock slipper set up. I have 13T all the way to 18T CB"s. Will I need anymore? Thanks Terry

17/47 is stock on a force 28. with the 49 I say go 19/49. I run 19/47 on my drag mod picco but there is more done to it then RB does to a motor

Wow five savages?

Ps steel is cheeper in the long run

I guess I should clarify it. I have 1 savage xl, 2.5r revo, 1/16 erevo, 2wd slash, and a big block t-maxx. Next is a savage flux in april then a brushless revo in june. After that I'm done for awhile I think. Anyways I thought about going with the steel one's but the price is leaning me towards the plastic one's. I can buy 3 or 4 plastic gears and have them ready on hand versus one steel which if it goes out then I'm out til I get a new one. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I guess I'm leaning towards 17/47 and see what happens. Thanks guys and also a link for the gears. Terry

Latest posts

Members online

Back