P&P: Axial 28 Spec 1S, My first one!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Well, I decided to take one of my Axial 28 Spec 1S engines last night which has been run in my basher and do some porting and polishing on it. This is my first time for doing this so I hope i’m doing it right. Anyhow, I got a start on porting things but haven’t even started polishing anything yet so its rough. I am using my dermal with a stone grinding but next time will get a carbide bit. Here are a few picts of the sleeve which is the only thing I’ve done so far.
movie019.jpg

movie020.jpg

Stock Exhaust port
movie023.jpg

Can you guys see am I doing anything wrong?

Also, what do I all need to do to the Crank other than polish it?

Is there some cutting I should do to the skirt of the piston?

If any of you have picts of a Axial 28 Spec 1S modded can you please post then here as I would like to see others jobs. I will post more picts as I go.

Looks good to me but I am just going by what ive seen in pictures from Crash.

On the crank I have seen some post where people (might even of been from the same person??) say they fill it with this, I don't know the reasoning but might be worth looking into.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=214077/levelcode=4089/catalog=1982/Kawasaki+ATV+Accessories/ThreeBond%AE+1211+Sealant/accessories214077.htm

I would thik the ultra copper would be as good or better as I believe it has a higher temp rating.

Now I just gatta find a place that has the polishing bits. All I found locally at lunch is the felt wheels with polishing compound which may work but will take forever and they arnt vary fine. I will stop by craftsman and see if they have anything when I get home. I hope they have them as I really want this thing running by this weekend and there is no way it will be if I have to order online.

Thnaks shiftpoint by the way.

they fill; the crank with special stuff so it ramps up ofna dose this in there red dot engines its like a epoxy or somthing

Jayson, the grinding looks nice.

From here you just need to remove scratchs as you know, I found rubber bits
with the embeded abrasives works nice and then a set of hard cloth bits for dremel
they come in many shapes.

I noticed a pic of exhaust port, did you change it ?

as far as the crank I have only polished one

the piston should not be changed IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at lunch for the rubber ones didnt find them at ACE so I will look at Craftsman once home. I do have the cloth/felt bits and polishing compound.

I didn't change the exhaust port at all should I?

I don't think I will change the piston atleast at this stage of learning.

Thanks for the comments and all. I will keep working with it and post finnished pict as soon as I can. I just wish I had rubber bits for polishing now. O well ill have to wait.

no I don't recomend touching the exhaust port or piston skirt

check my thread on axial p&p and there is a post with the name

of the co. that made my rubber bits.

maybe menards or home depot or lowes

My crank had scoops in it already so I increased them a little and polished

I did remove some material from inside crank journal and polish

I had to go back to thread and look, on the hpi 4.6k I only
modded sleeve

Sounds good, I may remove some material from the inside of the crank and polish that as well. It does already have the a scoop in the crank so I will probably do the same as you and increas them a touch and polish the end as well. I may round the hole in the end of the crank a bit as well to add to the smooth air flow.

the company that makes the polishing bits is called cratex...we order them thru an online supplier...I don't think there are any local type shops that will carry them, but I could be mistaken...

Yes we would please post, Please!

I went to craftsman, menards, home depot and nothing so I will order tonight hopping they will be here by the weekend.

I notice alot of ppl are doing the bypass port the wrong way! If you touch the bypass at all. Remember it flows upward! The reason I catch this is b/c I myself did this before. You effect the pressure in the cranck case by this.

I looked at the sleeve its totally different from yours, it doesnt have the third
port hole NTEnC is talking about

axialmodpolish024.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense to RB mods, but that crank looks like crap. All they did was cut the scoops. I hope they rebalance after cutting it like that or bearings won't last long.

yep........That's the bottom of the 2 transfer ports. It is designed to pull up instaed of down. You can must of the time see the fuel tarnish in a fang like manner. By doing it in a downward manner it creates turbulance and effects the crankcase pressure. The engine will still run, sometimes with almost a lope sound of a 4stroke.

Thanks ntenc1, I think you are correct. I will port/polish the lower one the other direction hoping I can salvage it and make a go of it and run good yet. I will have to do it the other way next time. Here is a picture I found on a nother forum so to give credit where credit is needed the guys name is purenitro33 who does some modding himself and does a great job. This is a 4.6 which is esentially the same motor as the Axial 28 spec 1S.

IMG_0628.jpg

yep........That's the bottom of the 2 transfer ports. It is designed to pull up instaed of down. You can must of the time see the fuel tarnish in a fang like manner. By doing it in a downward manner it creates turbulance and effects the crankcase pressure. The engine will still run, sometimes with almost a lope sound of a 4stroke.

i think you might be looking at it wrong, the lower port is shrouded until the piston is at tdc, look at where the exhaust port bottoms out. they do this type of shaping to 'charge' the upper ports over top of it, after the piston moves to open them up they blast the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder.
you have to remeber, this port gets its charge from the inside of the cylinder,not the outside like some, and transfers it to those ports.

So Savagepsycho, you think that if my first post I am doing it correctly.

The picture I posted in post #23 comes from a 4.6 which is vary simular to the the Axial 28 and this guy has modded several engines. His is ported upwords on the bottom port. Which is right then the first picutres in the first post or the picture in post #23?

Sorry, I'm new to this porting deal I just wanted to try and learn it my self and actually have an engine that is ported and polished.

:cussing: Me mad, I was expecting to get my buffing bits yesterday. I really want to get this thing finnished so I can run it this weekend. Problam is hopefully I can polish it tonight but if I seal it up it wont be compleatly cured by then, but I may run it anyway it will have sat for atleast 12 hours by the time I'm going to run it. I did grind on the crand a touch and will buff that as well.

Well I got it all done lastnight. It isnt purfect but it should make a nice difference. The pictures look worse than the real think because the flash/light magnavied every little scratch or imperfection by alot. With the parts in hand they look much better. I probably should have taken them further back but O well you get the hint or what I did. I don't think it turned out bad for a first time and being nurvice with shakie hands because its the first. Anyway let me know what ya think.
AxialPP018.jpg

AxialPP008.jpg

AxialPP009.jpg

AxialPP011.jpg

There are/were 2 grooves in the bottom of the crank here I'm not sure what they were but I took them out the best I could with out spending to much time on them.
AxialPP012.jpg

This one is the worst looking because of the flash.
AxialPP013.jpg

Alright...its' been 5 days!!! Have you ran that thing yet?!?! I'm curious to here of the differance in performance!! Anyway, looks great from the pics and I'm sure you did it right. All of my engines are ported, but I have the luxury of working with a good buddy who loves to port Nitro engines. Not to mention he has everything here at work needed to do it. Still not sure if I want to port the new K4.6 before or after break-in....never did one before and i'm not sure if it would have any negative affects on the engine.

Thanks and sorry I realize its been 5 days however I got the polishing bits last night once I got home so I finnished it and cleaned then put it back togather sealing it. I'm sure this thing will be a new machine.

I forgot one detail. I removed one of the head shims as well, LOL. I did this on my other Axial 28 which seemed to gain quite a bit of power so since this one was apart I proceded to do the same with this one. I will hopefully let you know back with details on running it this weekend as I wont have time this week to run it as I'm putting on my house on the market possably tomorrow so I got alot of cleaning to do.

Here are some pics I found of an Axial .28 sleeve.....

a6e1_1.jpg

a948_1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back