Overheating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vvajk

I actually have two issues I would appreciate some help with:
1- Overheating 5.9
Whenever I run my XL according to the onboard telemetry, I'm overheating. Today I was running and running rich I might add (nice blue smoke trail) it was only 37F out (just above freezing) and the radio is saying I got up to 285F! Even with the top off, it didn't help. Is there anything that could be causing this? It seems to be running fine. I'm almost getting suspicious that my telemetry is malfunctioning.

2- Engine cutting out (but only after 1/2 tank)
The engine runs just fine: starts, idles, accelerates, responsive, etc. but then after there's less than 1/2 a tank left it starts cutting off - usually after a high speed run and I let off the throttle. Is this normal? Do I just need to be better about filling the tank once it's 1/2 empty?

Oh yeah, what's this about storing your fuel OFF the floor?

image.jpg
This is where my fuel level was when it started cutting out.

You are a little high for temps, but if you have good smoke and run well then I wouldn't worry so much. I would likely check the temps out with an IR sensor, aimed at the head button, to double check your telemetry system.

You are dealing with "half tank lean" with the cut out. There are several ways to "fix this. One is to do a mid tank mod. Another is to keep on top of your fuel levels and never let it get below half tank. Another is to do your tuning only at half tank levels. You'll run a little rich to start the tank, but that would help you make it through the whole tank.

Storing fuel off the floor, mainly concrete, is to stop moisture ingress to the fuel.

You are a little high for temps, but if you have good smoke and run well then I wouldn't worry so much. I would likely check the temps out with an IR sensor, aimed at the head button, to double check your telemetry system.

You are dealing with "half tank lean" with the cut out. There are several ways to "fix this. One is to do a mid tank mod. Another is to keep on top of your fuel levels and never let it get below half tank. Another is to do your tuning only at half tank levels. You'll run a little rich to start the tank, but that would help you make it through the whole tank.

Storing fuel off the floor, mainly concrete, is to stop moisture ingress to the fuel.

Great info ... THANKS! Can you tell me what a mid tank mod is?

Basically moving the tank to the front of the truck, where the electronics are currently, in order to accomidate a bigger tank that does not have that same issue.

If you search this site as well as others you will find alot of different builds doing this.

You know, I've done midtanks... and, it seems overrated. IDK, but tuning at half tank isn't all that difficult to me

I actually have two issues I would appreciate some help with:
1- Overheating 5.9
Whenever I run my XL according to the onboard telemetry, I'm overheating. Today I was running and running rich I might add (nice blue smoke trail) it was only 37F out (just above freezing) and the radio is saying I got up to 285F! Even with the top off, it didn't help. Is there anything that could be causing this? It seems to be running fine. I'm almost getting suspicious that my telemetry is malfunctioning.

2- Engine cutting out (but only after 1/2 tank)
The engine runs just fine: starts, idles, accelerates, responsive, etc. but then after there's less than 1/2 a tank left it starts cutting off - usually after a high speed run and I let off the throttle. Is this normal? Do I just need to be better about filling the tank once it's 1/2 empty?

Oh yeah, what's this about storing your fuel OFF the floor?

View attachment 625
This is where my fuel level was when it started cutting out.
Hello, I have had this problem with my 5.9, I took the rear cover off and resealed it with a small amount of clear silicone, as well as the carburetor and the carb screw which attaches the carb to the engine case.. Then I noticed that the mid speed adjustment on the side keeps vibrating in causing a lean condition, I used a new o-ring with heavy grease. This seems to have done the trick. Also try a fuel with 20% nitro. What glow plug are you using.

Members online

Back