1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

over the counter lub,filter oil and cleaner

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Petenwlk1, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Petenwlk1

Petenwlk1 Member

Are the substitutes for these things other then what comes in the hobbie shops and online?

2. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe.... HPISF Staff

Going to need a bit more information other than a cryptic question

3. bifftit

bifftit Well-Known Member

purple stuff works good as a cleaner, although i have found it will slightly tarnish finished surfaces of rc parts. so i be sure to rinse well
    simple green too, but it leaves an oily film
    good old fashioned dawn dish soap also works wonders
    as in any cleaning projects at my house. 175psi air works wonders for cleaning and drying

I have a few cans of KN filter oil and i have always been going to try that, but never have. I am un-aware of any other alternatives to RC foam filter oil

I use Mobile1 20/50 and synthetic grease for most of my lube needs and seems to work well, also maybe a drop or two of sewing machine oil here and there.

I never tried any variants of regular oil in my shocks. guess i never really thought to
    but now that you mention it....I will look into options the next trip to Napa i make. I am sure there has to be a detergentless oil that would work

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/pure-silicone-standard-viscosity.html

http://www.sweepracingusa.com/iframe/cst_truth.htm

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. J.LO's SAVAGE X

J.LO's SAVAGE X Well-Known Member

yes , I found simple green does great , because it wont mess up the aluminum , a lot of people use W D 40 as a after run oil, it works great with no varnish from storage.. as for air filter oil, I wont stray from nitro filter oil, it as very thin and sticky, designed for air filters, but haven't tried k & n filter oil either. I run 50,000 diff oil and thick sticky bearing grease on the pinion gears

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted