One way bearing rotostart question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero

i bought new rotor back plate and one way bearing and had a few runs with it. seems my one way bearing slipped but sometimes it catches and lucky it will start the engine. i check the bearing it seem to be ok and when i use my finger to rotate it will lock but when i use my rotor start it will just spin it. is it normal to have oil in the bearing? is this causing to slip?

clean it with some alcohal or nitro cleaner, put a drop of oil on it, make sure the shaft is clean and back plate. should fix it. if it does it again it might be seeping oil out around the shaft..from wear, I usally use 1 drop of marvens mystery oil on the 1 way.

did the back plate come with the shaft the owb sits on because that might be worn a little causeing the slippage if by cleaning it really well doesnt work than thats probably the problem

Also this kind of sounds stupid but I heard it a few times (what kind of fule r u useing) because some fule will cause it it slip more I head traxxs brand and blue thunder really are the main 2.. I don't run that fule so I don't know about that just what I heard

i use HPI fuel 30% and like i said it never slips when i use my fingers to turn the one way bearing.

U still didnt anweser my question Did it come with a new shaft ??????? I know u could turn it by hand thats nothing I have had a owb that I knew was bad and still I could turn it by hand But a roto start spins really fast and there is more toque then your hand spining that fast... so yea if u didn't get a new shast GET ONE

the best way ive found to clean an owb is by letting it soak in a small contaner of simple green stuff.

problem fix. i used 1500 grit sandpaper to clean it. i found the solution somewhere on the net. or clean the one-way bearing with denatured alcohol. thnx guys! back to snow and mud!

this happened to me last time I went out actually...almost identical problem and symptoms...

got about 5 minutes of running in, when the owb started spinning free...end of my day :(

then, I took the roto-start plate out, and dropped the owb into a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and let it soak a bit...took it out, dried it off thoroughly, reinstalled it(turned the motor just fine with my fingers, as you said)...next time I spun it with the roto-start, it worked intermitently...rather than take the chance of getting to the track and it not working, I replaced mine with a new one...

if you can find the sandpaper article again, send me the link...I think it's a case of fluids getting onto the shaft, and letting it slip though...but I'll try just about anything, as owb's aren't cheap :D

this happened to me last time I went out actually...almost identical problem and symptoms...

got about 5 minutes of running in, when the owb started spinning free...end of my day :(

then, I took the roto-start plate out, and dropped the owb into a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and let it soak a bit...took it out, dried it off thoroughly, reinstalled it(turned the motor just fine with my fingers, as you said)...next time I spun it with the roto-start, it worked intermitently...rather than take the chance of getting to the track and it not working, I replaced mine with a new one...

if you can find the sandpaper article again, send me the link...I think it's a case of fluids getting onto the shaft, and letting it slip though...but I'll try just about anything, as owb's aren't cheap :D

all u need is sandpaper 1500 grit and then sand it lil bit around it make sure ur goin length wise like side to side motion. make sure u clean it first then sand it. then clean it again.

lengthwise means along the shaft/same direction, but side to side sounds more like crosswise on the diameter...

I assume you mean lengthwise? :D

u have to go length wise same direction as the shaft. u don't wanna go same direction of the owb.

This sounds crazy (i don't think its the same problem tho) but the owb has a sleeve in it and my buddy put a small tac weld on it to hold it together it works fine now was sllipping every spin

btw does the shaft spin with the rotation on the motor???? we thought about welding the owb to the shaft We heard it was a bad idea and never tryed it but if it worked u would never need another owb ever

no, once the motor is spinning, the owb doesn't spin...

they actually make a solid version of the shaft and owb out of titanium i believe...if i can find the link, i'll post it...

This sounds crazy (i don't think its the same problem tho) but the owb has a sleeve in it and my buddy put a small tac weld on it to hold it together it works fine now was sllipping every spin

btw does the shaft spin with the rotation on the motor???? we thought about welding the owb to the shaft We heard it was a bad idea and never tryed it but if it worked u would never need another owb ever

i guess if u do that the back plate gear will keeps spinning.

i guess if u do that the back plate gear will keeps spinning.

not at all...there's a spring loaded pin on the end of the crank, that only catches in one direction (kinda like a second one way bearing)

next time you have your glow plug out, and your roto-start backplate off, try it...turn your crank instead of the backplate shaft...you'll hear a little "click click click" every rotation(this is the little spring loaded connecting pin) but the backplate shaft won't turn with it...it catches when turned one direction, but not in the other...

not at all...there's a spring loaded pin on the end of the crank, that only catches in one direction (kinda like a second one way bearing)

next time you have your glow plug out, and your roto-start backplate off, try it...turn your crank instead of the backplate shaft...you'll hear a little "click click click" every rotation(this is the little spring loaded connecting pin) but the backplate shaft won't turn with it...it catches when turned one direction, but not in the other...

cool i guess its better to weld it. wat do u think?

yer true that, owb are bloody expensive and when you clean them they work good for only a little while, then they start slipping and u have to take the whole engine out. soooo frustrating :speechless:

Another trick that I do at the end of each day is a shot of WD-40 in the carb and down the glow plug hole, then turn the engine over with the rotostart. It will clean the oil off the OWB and allow it to grab the way it is meant to.

Another trick that I do at the end of each day is a shot of WD-40 in the carb and down the glow plug hole, then turn the engine over with the rotostart. It will clean the oil off the OWB and allow it to grab the way it is meant to.

does it work good?

Actually it is a tip from traxxas- they say to use wd-40 as an after run oil, but I use it on all my trucks and never had a problem with a OWB slipping when trying to start an engine.

I don't have a roto start on my surefire I do have on my .25 (I never use that mill Tho (Only when my surefire id down wating for parts) but Is anyone going to try to tac the owb on the shaf ??????????????????????

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back