One Way bearing fix! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

Hi everyone,

I am no expert in nitro but I would like to share some knowledge that I picked up recently that may help a lot of you to save some cash and a headache when you cant find the one way bearing you need or you go through a lot of them!

I have had a big issue with my picco .28 one way bearing recently, it is the older type one and they are actually discontinued much to my dismay! The ones that are on the market are way over priced and only see to available in the US...However, I found out (and this may be common knowledge among nitro enthusiasts, so my apologies if this sounds stupid and obvious to a lot of you) But I found out that you can actually press a new one way bearing into the bearing housing/nut. You can pick a strip of them up for cheap on ebay. If you look at the outer edge of the silver bearing, it will actually have a number on it which tells you the exact measurements for that particular one way bearing.

All you need is a vice and a socket piece that is the right size. You take your old bearing housing with the broken one way bearing in and place it inside the wrench socket piece, place the new one way bearing directly on top of it so the new one is lined up perfectly with the old one and then press them together in the vice, the new one will push the old one out and hey presto, you have a fixed one way bearing! Just remember that you need to find the exact right size socket. I used one that had a large enough hole in the end so the old bearing could pass through it! Didn't take me long to find the correct size once I had a good enough rummage through my tools.

I picked this info up from a guy on ebay that I was trying to purchase an OFNA one way bearing from. Very helpful guy.

I hope this helps someone out there!

One way bearings are a ongoing topic since HPI is apparently not supplying parts . Good info to know !

I ran across that on a few HPI forums. The HPI OWB lends itself to be able to do that if your careful and don't crack the outer nut. However, a lot of times on the older HPI engines, that's what would happen, the nut would split just from over cranking it or cranking when flooded.

I recently did this with a 5.9 one way bearing. After getting frustrated trying to locate the new part, and staring at the broken one long enough....the lightbulb went off and now I have plenty of spares just waiting to be pressed in. Good info ??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back