On to my 4th steering servo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddie_fiddler

Hello all!

Man its been a long time since I've been on here so I'll give you all a quick update. The rig, she is broken ?
Took it to the beach about 3 months ago and the steering servo died! My guess is its overheated cause it was really hot when I went to take a look and poke fingers at it.

I'm now on to my 4th servo in a year. This one is again another savox worth over $100AUD... I would have though bigger $$ means better quality but the last servo was a savox so ?‍♂️

I've also bought a glitch buster cap cause I cbf making one, and have also got a cap bank to add to the esc just in case.

What servos are you all using?
Is the BEC in hobbywing ESC's worth trusting or should I get a separate one for the receiver & servo?

Please all welcome me back! ???

Yea it was set perfectly. No added stress to the servo. This is the second time I've had a servo burn out on me. This first one was a crappy servo from ebay that was like $20 so I wasn't fussed. The next servo after that was around the $100 mark and it straight up broke gears on a bad landing; it was a metal gear servo

Now I've had a savox servo that was $130 burn out I'm real upset. Just blown another $100 on a servo and hoping that it was a unstable power issue. This one is a high voltage servo so I'm hoping with clean power that it should run a lot better

How is your servo saver adjusted, all way down so no give?

Are they all breaking after jumps? How much air?

Servo saver is an integy ali upgrade. But left the spring as is. I can feel the tension of the saver if I push the wheels with my hands. Imo its set on the harder side, but nothing hectic.

I've had one break on a landing (pretty big jump) while I was turning. Must have pushed the saver too hard and jerked the servo to hard. Second time I drove straight into a tree and was purely my bad.

I'm not worried about them. I'm more worried about the burnt out servo. I might take it apart and see whats cooked on it, could potentially fix it and have a spare! ?

Which savox servo? My 1210sg lasted a year before it blew a fet on the board. I fixed it and it lasted another 3 months, then did the same thing. I was using it in my outcast.

Which savox servo? My 1210sg lasted a year before it blew a fet on the board. I fixed it and it lasted another 3 months, then did the same thing. I was using it in my outcast.
The one that’s fried is 1271SG. Just ordered the 1268SG and should be here Monday. Will take apart the 1271SG once it’s out of the rig. More than certain it’s the FET that’s cooked it so I’ll buy a bunch of them off rs components

I get my servos from aliexpress, JX brand etc up t 35kg torque, as i don't see the need to spend more than 20 usd unless your racing.

My care package arrived. Got a glitch buster for the receiver and a cap bank for the esc just in case I have high ripple that potentially caused the servo to die. Sadly with my esc I cannot log anything - if only.

I took apart the old servo and it wasn't the fets that blew, the main IC and the motor controller IC both burnt out and I have no idea what their P/N's are so I just threw it in the bin.

Will probably run the servo and a lower voltage first too and see how it goes. If it runs well I'll bump it up to 7.4v and keep a real close eye on it.

Also got some turnbuckle ends for the traxxas xmax I'm pretty sure. They look beefy as frig so hopefully they last. And $12 for 8 of them ain't too bad either.

Will probably post some pics or something of the rig after this wee fix. SOOO keen to get it out and about again ?
20200504_122208.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back