Oil Gas ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunkenMetal

ok i am a noob when comes to the Baja.. What Oil to Gas ratio are you guys running?

The manual says 25:1 but with my past experiance with chainsaws and the like it was always 50:1

I'm running 25:1. I read as much as I could on this. It seems that it is no slower than running 50:1 or 32:1. Different people have different opinions. I guess I'll stick with the recc. mix.

well, it depends on the temp u r running ur baja

i live in a country which is hot most of the time, so we add more oil to the gas, in the winter, we make it less, so u can vary the oil mixture =/- on 1:25 :)

i guess its not that critical as long as you have enough oil lol... kinda like nitro brands some fuel mixes have more oil than others...

Hey I have been a small engine mechanic going on 18 yrs now if you get the chance find some stihl ultra oil it is in a white bottle at your local stihl dealer it is a full synthetic mix.

I had the chance to take a brand new line trimmer out of the box we ran one tank full of the stihl mix through the unit, we then ran 4 tanks of straight gas through unit and ran it for about 45 mins wide open, we could not get the unit to fail, when done we pulled the engine apart it looked brand new absolutly no signs of scoring. If I had a 5b of another gas powered unit this is the only oil I would use and I would mix it at 50:1.

Hey I have been a small engine mechanic going on 18 yrs now if you get the chance find some stihl ultra oil it is in a white bottle at your local stihl dealer it is a full synthetic mix.

I had the chance to take a brand new line trimmer out of the box we ran one tank full of the stihl mix through the unit, we then ran 4 tanks of straight gas through unit and ran it for about 45 mins wide open, we could not get the unit to fail, when done we pulled the engine apart it looked brand new absolutly no signs of scoring. If I had a 5b of another gas powered unit this is the only oil I would use and I would mix it at 50:1.
I was a professional Logger for 9 years b4 I got into create. the stihl mix he is talking about is expensive as POOP But is good stuff. I used the non but semi synthetic version in the orange bottle running a saw 6+ hours a day I would get 2 years out of a pro saw. all my 2 strokes I mix 46-50-:1. Id do no different with that if using good oil Nick. I also have a 98 banshee still on its first top end with 125Psi compression got it in 99' with 127. So its held up well... But only ran golden spectro in that with the saw mix as back up when I was out. Mixed that 46:1. 32:1 is over kill IMHO.. my 2 cent non baja answer

I am running 25:1 of Honda Pro Synthetic HP2. Working great so far.

These engines rev really really high, they aren't chainsaw or leaf blowers. The manufacturers have pushed the timing about as far as it will go and they spool out at well over 18,000 rpm which is way in excess of what garden equipment will do.

So yes you need oil and you need good oil, 32:1 is the least amount I would run and only if it was good stuff, regular 2 stroke scooter oil I would definitely run a minimum at 25:1 or if I was living in a hot climate or there were cooling issues (i.e running a lightened flywheel).

There will be no real performance difference between 32:1 and 25:1, the difference is less then 1% of the overall fuel mix, but going to 32:1 over 25:1 is cutting the lubricant quantity by 20% so keep that in mind, more is safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have one yet my father inlaw has one he's runnin coleman lantern fuel in his for the past year and it screems hasn't broke a internal part yet try it ill get more info if ya want

Lunar you say the the hpi gas engines spool out at well over 18,000 this is incorrect the 23cc limits out at 13,500 and the 26cc limits out at 12,500.

Yes you can lean them out to gain higher rpms but you run the risk of scoring the piston and cylinder due too a lean carb setting.

You can run more oil in your mix if you like gummed up rings and fouled spark plugs as well as clogged exhaust screens and excessive carbon build up in the cylinder head and exhaust port.

The Oil ratio should be at 25:1 a good synthetic oil should be used.

Depends what specs we're taking about and how much load the engine is under. Most dyno's and spec you'll see state where the peak power is made, thats not to say thats where the engine will spool out to just at what point its generating the most power.

CY dosn't seem to really publish spec sheets but the Zenoah equivilant the g230 is spec'd with a peak RPM of 19,500:

http://www.zenoah.net/products/hobby/download/G230RC_G260RC_704.pdf (page 5)

Although thats not under load, gearing, tyre size, pipe, vehicle weight, where you run, etc, will influence the actual load rpm. And what happens when your on a loose traction surface and you break your tyres free? those RPM's are going to soar and many like to drive that way, kicking up as much dust, powersliding all over the place and trying to get a little drift action going.

There isn't a huge difference between the Zen's and CY's in raw performance, we've got a mixture of both in our bashing circles and dragraces are really a toss up. The same is true of any engine inc. garden equipment, all will rev lower when under load as will these engines.

Synthetic oil is pretty much all you find in most bike shops these days... unless you ask them to get you some nice castor blend from the back room, its not because synth is better its just due to vehicle emission laws and not having smoke pouring out of your pipe as you ride down the street, but the rules are a little more lax for race oils, thats what i'd recommend anyone buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the key here is to use quality mx oil at 25:1 or 32:1.And yes less oil doesnt mean more power it is the other way around.We need oil to lube head walls which create more compresion and less friction betwen head and cyl rings.

About what brand of oil, youll hear huge amount of which one to use almost everyone have one best brand and they stick with it..

Also use fresh fuel and always shake the mix before use.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back