O'Donnell glow plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scameron78

Can't find much information on them as if good/bad. Appears purchasing has to be direct from their website and has to be 10 at a time. Purchased a new Dynamite Big Red and have an Axial .28 Spec 1. The Axial responds very well to the McCoy MC9 plug with 30% Byrons. Can't find the MC9 any where. Have to break in the Big Red and wanted to have some plugs on hand. Manufacture suggestion is DYN2495 which I believe is a medium cold plug. O'Donnell ODO9 is comparable to the MC9. I didn't want to buy 10 plugs I couldn't use in both engines.

I use odonnel purple which are medium in my LRP28 and LRP30 with 25% nitro. Seemed to perform better than with the hot plug. Been using the purple plugs for many years.

Used to be able to find them at most online stores, but not seeing them anymore :(

Glad I have 3 or 4 in my pit bag... although, don't run nitro much anymore.

The OD09 plugs are intended for boats. I used to run odonnell blues in everything I had, they lasted FOREVER. Best plugs I used by far. Now they are unfortunately discontinued. Really disappointing

I use odonnel purple which are medium in my LRP28 and LRP30 with 25% nitro. Seemed to perform better than with the hot plug.

OldsLSS...so so I understand you like the medium hot better the hot...on your LRPs (when using 25% nitro). Is that right? What if you run 30%? Do the plugs affect bite off the line (as that is what I seek). Thank you.

They just run better with the medium plug. When I used to run 20% nitro, I used hot plugs, but when I switched to 25%, I found that a bit cooler plug seemed to work better, give better power and was more forgiving to tune. I run the same fuel in my 21TM, but run an OS LC4 which is a longer plug, but also medium temp.

Contemplating getting rid of my nitro's. I just don't run them much anymore. Too many of the places I run have become populated and the noise of nitro gets the police called. Just isn't worth the headache. Now that winter is on it's way, they will stay on the shelf for quite a while anyway.

Last edited:
I contacted O'Donnell. Their suggestion would be to use the 288 (V2) plug to replace the MC9.

I had not. I do not believe they will stop producing plugs. He mentioned how some plugs are sold through distributors but is changing this. I am guessing they are going to sell direct. I ordered 6 of the 288s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back