Octane life expectancy???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

414octane

I have nearly 1 gallon through my truck so far. The only problem I've had with the truck has been an intake leak after the carburetor bolts became loose. I have been doing hours of reading online and it seems likely that the engine is a descendant of the OS GT15HZ? That engine has a terrible online reputation. The early versions lost the piston ring locator allowing the ring to rotate and snag in a port. The "new" pistons tend to lose the wrist pin circlips. Apparently the failure occurs within only a few gallons of operation. I just read one post on here that a member's engine lost a clip. Has anyone else lost a circlip or had a ring rotate and catch a port? Does anyone have a "high mileage" motor running strong after dozens of gallons?

Last edited:
I have nearly 1 gallon through my truck so far. The only problem I've had with the truck has been an intake leak after the carburetor bolts became loose. I have been doing hours of reading online and it seems likely that the engine is a descendant of the OS GT15HZ? That engine has a terrible online reputation. The early versions lost the piston ring locator allowing the ring to rotate and snag in a port. The "new" pistons tend to lose the wrist pin circlips. Apparently the failure occurs within only a few gallons of operation. I just read one post on here that a member's engine lost a clip. Has anyone else lost a circlip or had a ring rotate and catch a port? Does anyone have a "high mileage" motor running strong after dozens of gallons?

I'm on my 4th gallon now.

Mine has lost the clip twice. I put in a new engine. It decided to stop running yesterday. It has compression and starts but will not stay running. Then the starter failed. I have another of those too.
I have run it 1 1/2 gallons.

Got tired of fooling with it yesterday.

Mine has lost the clip twice. I put in a new engine. It decided to stop running yesterday. It has compression and starts but will not stay running. Then the starter failed. I have another of those too.
I have run it 1 1/2 gallons.

Got tired of fooling with it yesterday.

Did the warranty cover the engine repair?

I bought the truck used from Tower Hobby. It was broke when I got it. I fixed it and it ran 1 tank. I put a new engine in it and it has run until yesterday.

That sucks. I knew going in people had trouble with this motor due to misleading instructions and operator error. If I knew about the OS GT15HZ connection and its problems I would have bought the 5.9 with alot of nitro or a Baja.

That sucks. I knew going in people had trouble with this motor due to misleading instructions and operator error. If I knew about the OS GT15HZ connection and its problems I would have bought the 5.9 with alot of nitro or a Baja.
Me too.

Since the Xl and Octane will be the same chassis I think some options will be available soon.

I don't know how many gallons of fuel I have ran through my Octane, but I do know I have ran through two bottles of the HPI 2 cycle oil 100cc (part #z191), a bottle of Redline Synthetic 2 stroke oil, and I am on my second bottle of Redline Synthetic 2 stroke bottle which is almost empty. Going to Napa tomorrow to pick up some more. I can honestly say that I have had no issues with the Savage Octane Engine other than normal spark plug maintenance cleaning and or replacement. But I always run clean air filters (I think I have a total of 7 extra air filter elements) and always put some 2 stroke oil down in the combustion chamber after running. Now with that being said My local Hobby Town USA bought a HPI Savage Octane only to sell it and never stock any parts, because they thought the Octane was too much of a hassle, too much money, and after all the work to get it going it wasn't that fun to run. They had one truck a customer brought in, and they could not figure it out (some sort of start and stall problem). I have a blast running my truck.... lots of power, and I even go out to the track and try to keep up with the electric cars.

I don't know how many gallons of fuel I have ran through my Octane, but I do know I have ran through two bottles of the HPI 2 cycle oil 100cc (part #z191), a bottle of Redline Synthetic 2 stroke oil, and I am on my second bottle of Redline Synthetic 2 stroke bottle which is almost empty. Going to Napa tomorrow to pick up some more. I can honestly say that I have had no issues with the Savage Octane Engine other than normal spark plug maintenance cleaning and or replacement. But I always run clean air filters (I think I have a total of 7 extra air filter elements) and always put some 2 stroke oil down in the combustion chamber after running. Now with that being said My local Hobby Town USA bought a HPI Savage Octane only to sell it and never stock any parts, because they thought the Octane was too much of a hassle, too much money, and after all the work to get it going it wasn't that fun to run. They had one truck a customer brought in, and they could not figure it out (some sort of start and stall problem). I have a blast running my truck.... lots of power, and I even go out to the track and try to keep up with the electric cars.

If my math is right and assuming your mixing 25:1 that's around 7 gallons on fuel.
Don't get me wrong, I think this truck is sweet. It's the looming possibility of it eating circlips without cause that has me concerned.

Last edited:
25:1 exactly. No more no less. The wrist pin snap ring failure could be caused by an installation error. Compressing the snap ring too much during installation could weaken the spring and not allow it to seat properly in place. Also the orientation of the snap ring in the piston along with force of the piston moving up and down could cause the snap ring to compresse and pop out of place.

25:1 exactly. No more no less. The wrist pin snap ring failure could be caused by an installation error. Compressing the snap ring too much during installation could weaken the spring and not allow it to seat properly in place. Also the orientation of the snap ring in the piston along with force of the piston moving up and down could cause the snap ring to compresse and pop out of place.

The failures with the heli motors occurred with new motors. The leading theroy is a combination of insufficient diameter of the piston groove to fully seat the circlips and possible metallurgical issues with clips weakening due to heat.

I run Maxima 927 at 25:1with regular pump gas. I keep it a tick rich and my temps are around 220 . I'm curious what others who experienced failures fuel and oil settings were.

I have had my truck since August and had many of the problems everybody else has experienced. He main thing I can say and it has been said many times it is the breakin hat is so important. When I got the truck I thought I was filling correctly. I did not. I think I just rushed things, tried to lean the truck out to get the performance. Heck hat is what the HPI videos said to do and yes the incriminates were the small ones. Long story short dying my running the truck would start to spit and sputter and quit. I tried everything to fix the problem.

Thought it was the ignition , timing, thought LiPo battery at 7.4 volt would help,(it was a super upgrade though. 4 tanks per charge) basically I leaned the motor to prematurely and cooked the piston and sleeve. Now that I have fixed and broken in the right way, which for me was basic heat cycling with gradual progression with the throttle tank to tank. This thing is what I was expecting. What I can say about tuning the carb, at least where I live is don't touch it. The truck will come into it with time. By tank 8 it's shifting thought all the gears.

Wheelies on command and is maintains a average head temp of 200. This is what I was waiting for. I hope the breakin process on the new V2 will have this done so people can have the fun with this truck they deserve.on another note anybody wanting a kill switch like the Killer Rc switch which you can turn off from the radio can use the

Evolution Engines optical electronic ignition kill switch. It has a indicator and can shut down the ignition by using the 3rd Chanel on your radio. I need this because I ditched the HPI radio and went Futaba. The only prob was I had no failsafe anymore, this new switch took care of that. Loss of radio and it's off. Protect your investment!!!

Just trying to help guys it has taken me 8 months to get this truck figured out. I also think the wrist pin clip failures are caused by faulty install. Not to insult anybody ability but that is my opinion. Anybody wanting 7.4 LiPo use the Killer Rc battery for the baja it fits perfect and I think you have 4200 mah. Just have to upgrade radio and servos. I am also running the regular can muffler. Much quieter and see not effect on the performance. I do think it keeps the truck cooler too.

I am also running the Maxima Caster 927. Super oil. I started using this on my Baja motor I got from the Oneill Brothers, and carried this over to my Octane. The stock oil is just not good. Keep your ratio fat too. I am. Usually between 20:1 on my breakin and now a heavy 24:1 on my current tanks. The extra oil does not hurt a thing. Just a bit more smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back