Novarossi Plus 28-7/RT or Picco P3 28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugsan

I raced in our nationals last summer and was using a Picco P3 28. In the final race, the crankshaft is broken in the 3rd corner of the first lap. I didn't know how it was broken. It's broken right in front of the flywheel. Because of this, I came last. So I don't trust Picco as I trust before. I like the Picco 28 well in my Savage, but I want to try another engine such as Novarossi Plus 28-7/RT. I do trust Novarossi engines, I use 12 SCT3 in my Xray NT1 and never had a problem with it. I wanna know if Novarossi Plus 28-7/RT has a better power band than Picco P3 28 and can I trust it while racing?

And I have a question for ERCM. What is the prices of these engines extreme modded ones?

Novarossi makes great motors but so does picco. For a crank to break like that is very odd. Run either one though and best of luck next time.

I had 3 Picco 28s, after that broken crankshaft, i got angry and sold all of them. I really wonder how Novarossi is, if it is better than Picco or similar, I'll get Novarossi. If it is not as good as Picco, I'll have to get Picco again.

From what I know the novarossi is a little better out of the box but hardly enough to justify buying one over the picco but this is comming from a guy who has both so I hardly have room to talk there.

Now as far as which one will hold up better and which is made better they are on par there. The picco had a few issues with there carbs in the past but I have one of the new ones and no problems as of yet and no one else who has one of the new ones has either. Hope this helps.

Thanks Pope. This info is helpful. It is interesting that Novarossi is better out of the box. All Piccos I had were the old ones, I haven't tried the new one. Although i sealed the carbs, I did have problems with the carbs while tuning. I never see such things on my Novarossi 12 3SCT or O.S. VZB or 28XZ. I only had tuning problems with Piccos. Somehow I get used to tune Picco 28 but tuning it requires to be too much sensitive unlike other engines I used.

I like them both, I run Picco because it's cheaper yet just as good. Any engine is prone to failure, that may have been a rock that got jammed under the bell and snapped off the crank. In the same sentence, I have seen a $500 Nova .28 in a savage have the OWB crap out and destroy as in trash the engine, DONE. Less chance of it happening in a higher end mill, but not impossible. Not by a long shot.

Just my .02

I want a great engine for this race season. I want an engine that holds tune easily, and the weather is so hot here about 100 degrees and humidity is high, but it changes quickly in the afternoon, the weather gets cooler. Last season I tuned Picco early in the morning for the first race and I didn't have time to tune it for afternoon, and it lost performance. But O.S. 28XZ in my Xray XT8 held the tune(I did in the morning) for the second race as well and there was not so difference like Picco. This year, I will get same engines for both of my trucks. So which engine do you suggest me to get for both Savage and XT8?

Why would you want the same motor. You put .21's in truggy's and.28's in mt's. Putting the same motor in each is going to hurt the performance in one of them

picco-1nobackgroundjpg.jpg

from experience my ERCM savage beat a Nova savage like an nitro RS4 running a gen 1 electric stampede!

i had a novarossi 28 3-port long ago back when i had a running savage (savage 25) and it was the strongest engine i ever had, however i have never had a picco before and have been thinking about getting one.

Thanks guys, I will probably get 2 Picco 28s or Picco 28 for savage and Picco P7R for truggy.

P7R for truggy is a must unless your just bashing, a .28 will take you out before you even start, they drink alot more then a race bread .21

The .28 has too much torque, it is very hard to control for most tracks. Just because it's a .21 doesn't mean they don't have power, I have a onroad .21 Picco that in stock form makes more HP then the .28
Modified the .28 can't touch it, not even close lol.

I saw a picco 21 with pullstart for only $109. Has anyone tried it in savage? Can I use it in my savage for racing or is it weak for racing?

I saw a picco 21 with pullstart for only $109. Has anyone tried it in savage? Can I use it in my savage for racing or is it weak for racing?

I've seen lots of savage's out at the track but from what i hear they are very heavy and slow. I was planning on doing the same until i went to the track and saw their performance and just jumped on a truggy! JMO.

It's the one I mentioned in the PM, gear down a little and it will pull your truck around perfect. It's not a crazy beast, but it would be good for racing.

I've seen lots of savage's out at the track but from what i hear they are very heavy and slow. I was planning on doing the same until i went to the track and saw their performance and just jumped on a truggy! JMO.

You can make a savage a race truck just takes alot of this $$$$$$$$$$

That's exactly what they told me at the track, i've raced on-road 1/8 serpent and Mono & offshore boats and this is my first try at truggy's.. i asked alot of questions at the track and $$$$$$ seems to be the way to throw a Savage on the track, there were a few hardcore savage guys outthere that money wasn't an issue, but, for most of us it is... so, for time being, the savage will be my basher.:patriotism:

That's exactly what they told me at the track, i've raced on-road 1/8 serpent and Mono & offshore boats and this is my first try at truggy's.. i asked alot of questions at the track and $$$$$$ seems to be the way to throw a Savage on the track, there were a few hardcore savage guys outthere that money wasn't an issue, but, for most of us it is... so, for time being, the savage will be my basher.:patriotism:

You are going the right way man. Those of us who go all out will still tell you if you want to race you should get a truggy or buggy.

You are going the right way man. Those of us who go all out will still tell you if you want to race you should get a truggy or buggy.

I just love bashing the hell out of my savage but it takes it... never seen anything like it. Soon i'm be getting a mill from Robin.. just waiting on my ebay auction to end and collect payment. It's a Kyosho MiniZ fully loaded. If you know anyone looking for one it's item#300395689597.
:sniper2:

It's the one I mentioned in the PM, gear down a little and it will pull your truck around perfect. It's not a crazy beast, but it would be good for racing.

I will get one but it is out of stock everywhere. I asked nitrohouse and they said they are waiting OFNA to restock. My racer savage is 11,4 pounds when fully loaded. I'll try it with 14t OR 15t clutchbell/49t spur, and i'm running on proline lpr tires, i think it'll be ok. If I don't like it, i'll get a Picco 28 again.

A lot of dollars flew away to make one of savages racer. My savage is very similar to Savage Sam's Super savage, the difference is the tvp's, i use FLM Extended LCG TVPs, my servos are both Hitec 7955TG on steering and throttle/brake. I only get CF LCG Shock towers and i got the new HPI antisway bar kit. As I say the biggest difference between mine and Savage Sam's Savage is the CF parts except LCG Shock Towers and i use Flux Diffs and dogbones and axles. I haven't calculated how much i spent on it, but probably it costed me about 3 Savage XLs or a little more except spare parts for the race season. It costed me more than people in USA, because i live in Turkey and i paid shipping fees 3 or 4 times more than you and paid customs duties.

But now, it's a perfect racer i think. I fly over Revos, and Savage is the most durable MT, and that's the thing i want. It's heavier 1 more kilos than revos but with picco 28 it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The three port .21 can use a little work, if you plan to run stock it may need gearing like 15/47 or even 15/49. I guess if your running stock, the picco .28 might be best for a savage.

so you live in turkey do you know my good buddy sir sudi savage? He lives there too. I have been walking him through the build of his race savage and I must say it is coming along well much the same as yours really.

I know him from our forum, but i haven't meet him. He was not in the race last year, and I don't know if he is going to participate this season.

Sorry for my poor english.. I didn't understand what you mean.
But there is only 1 offroad race series in Turkey every summer. There is no other offroad race series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I bought Novarossi 28 7-RT for Savage and Novarossi Toro Nero 21T for Xray XT8.

Latest posts

Members online

Back