not doing wheelies anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK they could be seized on, like always turning c/b, or off, like not making contact with c/b.
With the c/b off do the shoes spring back? I mean are the springs in all 3 shoes good?

Dave

The shoes all spring back just fine.

Just noticed inside the cb there is very thin line of dirt or somthin, really stuck on but just a thin line in the center of the cb wall that goes all the way around. Could this stop the shoes from engaging the cb?

Sorry dude I don't know what else to say but this......
zl2gyg.gif

Dave

Well noe the guys who a way smarter than me will be able to help you out. Looks to me like your spur mesh got out of whack. Make sure you loctite the engine bolts when you put the truck back together. If they do not have loctite they can come loose and when you land a jump the engine will shift just a little, loose the good cb/sg mesh and strip the spur. Hope this helps out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan Q, of course I loctite my engine screws, thanks for trying but that is not the issue here.

This is a video of me moving my flywheel, the black line on it represents bdc, is it normal for that much noise to come from moving the piston?

And some more pics, one showing how the flywheel is sitting in place on its brass collet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, after reading over this thread again, I'm stumped. But fortunately there are much smarter people here than myself, so hang in there. You'll be running no doubt.

Thought this was a part of the problem since the stripped spur question was asked in previous posts. Keep at it though, someone here will be able to help out and get you up and running.

Thought this was a part of the problem since the stripped spur question was asked in previous posts. Keep at it though, someone here will be able to help out and get you up and running.

I am 100% certain that the position of the cb has remained in the set position the entire time while running it, I tightened the mesh after the second spur stripped but that did not seem to help at all.

The problem with the clutch not engaging and sending power to the wheels started to occur during start up after I stripped the first spur gear, but it did not become a serious issue. For example, the engine would start(wheels in air) but the wheels would not respond to throttle for a couple seconds and then BAM the wheels would engage and run like normal. It wasn't until I installed the current spur gear#3 that there was just no power going to the wheels whatsoever.

I am going to put everything back together and give it another shot since there are no obvious problems to address at this time. I will post a video of the start up. :Xfingers:

Savage here is a picture of my flywheel on the collet. Compared to your picture it looks like you have more of a gap than I do. Look at the flywheel on the collet. Just something else to check. I know its frustrating, but you will chase that gremlin out of there in no time

Allan, when I had my F4.6 there was a smaller gap like yours, but with this K4.6 that is as far as I could get the nut to tighten down the flywheel. I think I need an extended socket or somthing to really get in there and tighten it down. I had a hell of a time trying to tighten that nut. I can't even get the old one off the broken F4.6.

You have to use a deep well socket for that.
Go borrow one if you can?

Dave

Well I finally finished my rebuild and the truck is not pulling wheelies like it used to. Do I need lower gearing? currently 17/47.....If not the gearing is it just my tuning? For example, how lean do I need to go?

Could my new heavier wheels/tires or exhaust pipe be the issue?

I have been driving it on grass and pavement, both of which are said to be excellant wheeling surfaces. It was very difficult to get it to wheely even after I tried to lean it out.

yours :cb 17 / spur 47 = 2.76 ratio

mine: cb 18 / spur 49 = 2.72

mine stopped wheelieing when I changed to heavier wheels & tires

mine now : cb 17 / spur 49 = 2.88 switched to the and got the wheelies back

yours :cb 17 / spur 47 = 2.76 ratio

mine: cb 18 / spur 49 = 2.72

mine stopped wheelieing when I changed to heavier wheels & tires

mine now : cb 17 / spur 49 = 2.88 switched to the and got the wheelies back

Same for me. I had a 17/47 and then put on Goliath tires. No more wheelies. I changed the spur to a 49 and it wheelies again.

I also switched shocks lately and that took away wheelies at first

then I put stiffer springs in the rear and it came back up.

I'm running 60 weight I think it should be heavier for good wheelies

The dang shocks absorb all the power

Crash thanks for the tip on the glow plug wrench, it did the trick. Tried as hard as I could to push the flywheel down onto the collet more, it didn't really do much and there are no more threads to screw the pilot nut down on so I think the gap is supposed to be like that.

Reassembled the sg, cb, and shoes. Set a good mesh on the cb/sg. Loctite on what needed it.

The screw for the clutch bell seemed to screw in nice and snug; the whole assembly was fitting snug; no play between the brass washer and the clutch bell. Cleaned inside the cb and scuffed up the shoes with some sand paper to make them bite more, since they looked too smooth and polished over.

Good news.....the truck fired right up today and no problems with power transfer to the wheels. Was only able to fire it up on the stand due to wet weather, but that was enough to test that it was running properly. Short vid here....

.....it was cold so I had to feather the throttle at first.

Regarding the 49t spur....I still have two 47t to go through. But it wouldn't hurt to pick up a 49t to try it out. Lookin for the HPI 76939, right? And btw there are some guys who have claimed to have no problem doing wheelies with my wheel/tire setup and running 17/47, your goliaths setup might be heavier. Getting a ratio above 2.72, like 2.88, will give me more low end off the line accelleration, right?

As far as getting some flip it on its lid wheelies going, I will have to wait for a dry day to give it a try. Stiffening the rear shocks might help. My shopping list is growing....shock oil, 49t sg, maybe some new shoes and springs, gallon of 20%, what else? At least for now the truck is running again. :Xfingers:

Latest posts

Members online

Back