1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-HPI tanks on my savage's over the years.

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by olds97_lss, Apr 29, 2017.

1. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Ofna tank on my first savage 21 chassis:
    [​IMG]
    I used thin flat steel back then.

My old HB extended savage with the OFNA tank, starting using 3/8" steel stock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old HB extended with a Losi tank, didn't care for it as the fuel pickup was a clunk and it never ran quite right:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old HB Extended with MGT tank, it leaked air like a sive:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My old OFNA tank on my X:
    [​IMG]

The seals went bad and the spring got so weak that I was getting constant air leaks and fuel was getting all over everything from leaking out of the cap.

I found another OFNA 125cc tank, which is what I'm running in it now. It was a little longer than the old ofna tank, so I used an extended bolt in the throttle pivot for the front of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would love finding something with 150cc just to get a little more run time, but I'll take consistent tune all day long over run time. My LRP's just do not like the stock tanks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. bifftit

bifftit Well-Known Member

thats awesome
    you had issues with the 8T tank huh?
    I don't like the fact that the fuelline acts as the seal as it enters the side of the tank other wise it has seemed adequate but only run a few tanks through it so far

3. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did. It ran ok, better than stock, but not as well as it did with the rectangular OFNA 125cc tank. I also didn't care for the fuel line going through the side of the tank. I didn't mount it very level either which probably didn't help. The way it was shaped, it wanted to be in the opposite direction that fit best on the savage.

With the fun I'm having with my brushless rigs... it may become a mute point if HPI starts supplying parts again as I may convert it to electric. As it is, I'm going to hold off on converting it though. Don't want to spend $300+ doing that to end up not being able to get diffs and axles easily/cheaply.

4. bifftit

bifftit Well-Known Member

read somewhere that the Mugen MBX6T tanks is a near drop on replacement. I cant find specs for the tank or verify its fits BUT its on my "someday" epig list

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted