Nitro to electric conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy

Hi all,
I m trying to convert my hpi nitro monster to electric brushless system. Got a 4 pole 2000kva motor with 150 amps esc.
question 1: Is this motor n esc combo powerful enough to run the truck ?
Question 2: I got a stock spur gear (49T) on the truck what is the best suitable pinion gear for it ?also is there any calculation while deciding the pinion gear?

Thanks in advance .

Cheers
Timmy

well, the esc should be good, but 2000kv is a little small, maybe a 4400kv motor, as for the pinion, I belive 19t is a good pinion(nor sure though) u will need an electric spur gear, u can't use the stock one from the nitro

well, the esc should be good, but 2000kv is a little small, maybe a 4400kv motor, as for the pinion, I belive 19t is a good pinion(nor sure though) u will need an electric spur gear, u can't use the stock one from the nitro

Kv= RPM per volt... A 2000kv motor will have far more torque at a given voltage than a 4000 kv motor.

WE are talking about a Savage correct? If so, 2000kv is a good fit. Especially at 14.8v.

When choosing the pinion, you want to look at your input voltage, tire size, and terrain running, as well as your top speed desire. It's possible to over rev a motor with too much gear or too much voltage, check here, http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

I'm not sure on the differences between Savage nitro and Flux diffs and transmissions and spurs.

Jr. is correct. The stock motor for the flux is a 2200kv, this is a common size for 1/8th scale trucks.

Nutjob proving his title again. lol

Well some things never change no matter how long you spend away lol

Whats that Old Saying ? oh ya i remember.....
"If brains were dynamite he would not even have enough to blow his nose"

Thanks for the reply Guys .information is really helpful .
Between the differencial n transmission are standard of a hpi savage nitro truck .I m trying to convert a nitro truck to brushless system :) .just not sure what size pinion to use on a 49t spur gear ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Direct drive would probably be "better" or "proper". But you can either gear way up and use the trans, or loosen your shift point way up so it stays in second until you can find the stuff.

i have a stock savage x with 3 speed trans upgrade and I'm tired of trying to keep my truck tuned etc. any good part suggestions? nothing extreme just maybe a kick up from a stock flux.

@NightFlier X4.6 sorry, I didn't realize you weren't the OP. In your case, I'd probably suggest the Kershaw kit. Either with one of their motors or a Castle system. 2200kv on 4s ought to be pretty fun. 6s should reliably shred tires and driveline fairly effectively. ;)

@NightFlier X4.6 I recently converted my old Savage 25 to electric using the Kershaw kit already mentioned. I used the Mamba Monster 2 ESC with a 2200kV motor. They are available as a set on Tower Hobbies:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAVJ

Rooky is right about the performance, though I'd say that 4S is more than just "pretty fun." It's hard enough to keep the front wheels on the ground while running 4S, so I'd honestly hate to imagine what running 6S would be like.

Just to be on the safe side I also ordered Kershaw's set of hardened transmission gears.

I was hoping the sarcasm would bleed thru. Lol. My MM1 2200 combo was enough to make me strip my truggy. It was a blast when it stayed together, but a CEN truggy has way more fragile parts than a Savage.

I have the mm1 on my savage electric conversion but I also have the hobbywing max8 on another savage conversion. Happy with both.

Your existing radio should work fine, but you will need to reset your fail safe according to the instructions for an electric truck. If you don't, and your radio loses signal, the truck could go full throttle in reverse until it regains signal or explodes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back