Nitro to Brushless FLM EXT LCG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravaging_savage

Before I start with the build I will give a little back story on the truck.
I bought this truck used back in 12/05. It started its life as a non x SS 4.6. I ran the crap out of it. replaced what broke with upgrades. Burnt that motor out and got a Axial .28rr ran that for a while. I did some BP diffs, FLM tvps, 23mm hex, mid tank mod and a bunch of other improvements. The axial started giving me issues and I got tired of fighting with it so the truck sat for a few years. I had a Blitz I messed with. Installed a Hobbywing brushless kit in that and was really impressed with it. I did some research and saw how cheap brushless had gotten and how cheap batteries are now. So I started on the conversion path

Goals were to keep what I have, upgrade only whats needed and keep the cost down. Hard part was trying to find a motor mount that would work in the nitro tvps.

I ended up using a Kershaw Designs LCG motor mount. I was afraid to order from him because of all the negative reviews had. I am happy to say the part shipped out quick even though it was right around the holidays. The finish wasnt as bad a people claimed. It wasnt a pretty as FLM parts but the finish was smooth and clean. I did have to enlarge a few holes to fit my motor bolts, but that was it. On his website it states that the mount can support 45t spur and up to 27t pinion. On my truck with the FLM TVPs and motor plate, I couldnt even fit a 21t. so I dropped to a 17 and it fits fine with room to spare.

Next challenge was the batteries. Most people use the flux battery boxes with work well but they arent the nicest looking things and hide most of the FLM TVPs. I found Tweaked's build and copied his idea of the batteries mounted up front between the tvps. He used the FLM shock towers, I had the standard plastic ones. It took some modification to get it to fit my SMC batteries. I had to space the shock mount forward about 1/4", shave some plastic off the mount , and flip the rear most shock to make it all fit. For the base I used my old motor plate drilled some new holes to mount the servo a little bit of foam and some velcro and the batteries are locked down tight.

Here are some photos of the finished product
20160109_164557-1899x1068.jpg

20160109_164610-1899x1068.jpg

20160109_164548-1899x1068.jpg

20160109_164625-1899x1068.jpg

20160109_164646-1899x1068.jpg

20160111_175843-1899x1068.jpg

20160111_175823-1899x1068.jpg

20160111_175900-1899x1068.jpg

This thing is an animal. Nothing at all like the .28rr was even with the 3spd tranny. even on the 40 series moabs on pavement it will light them up when bliping the throttle at speed. Back tires are slipping as the front starts to lift. Now I understand why all the strongest parts for a savage come from a flux.

I'm afraid to run this thing on my street I used to run wide open with the nitro no problem. With this I'm afraid its going to cause damage to the truck, someone else property or kill someones kid.

Gonna take it to the park tomorrow for its first real run.

Truck mods list

SS 4.6 truck
FLM EXT LCG TVP
FLM motor plate
FLM drive shafts
FLM Cross Braces
FLM Draglink
FLM Skid plate
Flux BP diffs shimmed
Stock Shocks with fuel tube mod
RcBoyz Triple Rate Springs
Proline Weld Cheyenne 40 series
Proline Moabs
Proline Wabash
Proline Bowties
Robinson Gen 3 Slipper/Spur
Kershaw Design LCG motor mount
Teknorc 17t pinion
Hobby Wing Ezrun Max8/2200kv combo
SMC 2s 40c 5000mah x2
Savox 1283 servo
Futaba 2.4ghz

I have a question, i have the flux hp and the diff cups are wearing down quite a bit. the axel dogbones ends are a bit larger than the x ss but the shiny ones that come with the x ss are stronger i think. Will i be able to switch the from and rear diff cups and the dogbones to fit the flux?

switch to the flux or XL extended axle drivetrain. they are both heavier than the X and SS drivetrains.
you will need to switch the axles and outer divverential cups also as the bone is 11mm round rather than 9mm.
center shafts are the same on all models except the xl which uses a longer rear

switch to the flux or XL extended axle drivetrain. they are both heavier than the X and SS drivetrains.
you will need to switch the axles and outer divverential cups also as the bone is 11mm round rather than 9mm.
center shafts are the same on all models except the xl which uses a longer rear
If you don't want the "extended" version of the axles, I was able to find the standard length super HD versions to use with the large bones. I didn't want the extra 1/2-3/4" of axle sticking out. Although... that was quite some time ago. Not sure what you can find these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Back