Nitro Start Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElocFSU

Hello all,

So I've completed my break-in process and I've run another 2 or 3 tanks with my new Savage X. Been a blast thus far. I have a few questions about the nitro start unit.

I've noticed that it frequently has a hard time turning over the engine. Often times, it will start rotating but then the nitro start clutch will release and disengage. In this case the engine stops turning over and I have to release the nitro start button and try again. I am assuming (and hoping) that this is because my engine is new and the pinch is hard to overcome.

My question is a simple one. How does the nitro start clutch work? I see settings from 1 to 3 or so on the rotating dial. Manual says to use position 1. Does a higher number result in more torque being applied before the nitro start clutch disengages? Or is it the opposite? What clutch setting do you guys run?

I have read that, given the new engine, I may need to consider starting with the glow plug slightly loosened to reduce compression. Not sure if I should do that or if I should increase the drag setting on the nitro start to apply more torque.

Thanks!

it is a one way bearing, a lot of cranking to get motor to start ruins them, what I do is always have a backup one way bearing, if motor is new and being broke in,it puts a lot of stress on one way bearing preheat motor up 220 or so and prime fuel into carb, and yes loosening the glow plug is ok, but just about half a turn. I will take my time breaking in a engine. I will usually run 10 to 15 tanks through a hpi engine, I also use a temp gun, good tool if newer to hobby, priming engine getting fuel into carb saves a lot of cranking time.

Do you prime the engine every time you start it

Usually have to. only time you may not have to is restarts after fueling etc... cold startup you will always want to prime so it gets fuel right away.... hold your finger over exhaust outlet and crank or pull while watching fuel delivery thru the feed line, stop when fuel gets to carb, install glow igniter and start the rig....

I prime every time. No chance of it firing up unless I do. I usually like to see fuel moving through the carb (with the air filter removed) just to be sure that I have fuel in the cylinder.

Two of my friends are also running new Savage 4.6s. They have the same issues with the nitro start clutch slipping and not providing enough torque to turn the engine. Sometimes the only way to get the nitro start to turn the engine over without the nitro start drag clutch giving way is to loosen the glow plug a quarter turn or so. I'm figuring it's because all three engines are still so now. Time will tell.

I still want to know about the nitro start drag settings. Is 3 the highest drag or lowest? What setting are you guys running on?

Incidentally my Warhead trucks are starter box compatible due to the low engine mount and access to the flywheel from underneath the truck. Talk about a nice feature. In my opinion the starter box is by far the best way to go. Wish there were a way to use a starter box on a Savage.

Latest posts

Members online

Back